Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader

This is a discussion on Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I found a fella selling his what looks like a lightly used dillion 550 with 3 sets of dies(10mm, 45acp, 45colt) for $375...I walked ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader

So I found a fella selling his what looks like a lightly used dillion 550 with 3 sets of dies(10mm, 45acp, 45colt) for $375...I walked away and I find myself regretting it.

im not sure if im buying more then I need or what.....dang it.

2. Remove Ads

I think I'm skipping on the Lee, I just don't wanna regret this...being as I have an AR15 and I want to be able to shoot GOOD ammo I think my choices have been narrowed now to the Hornady LNL AP or the Dillion 550, I dunno If I can afford to setup a dillion 650.

I like the Lee Loadmaster but the toilet chain powder measure turns me off (yeah I know I can ad the hornady one to it...but thats $140 bucks) and then I still have the primer system, I'm afraid it won't work as good for me as it does for the guys on the ultimatereloader.com videos

If you are really serious, there is NO option other than a Dillion. But there are many options which are decent, I would not include Lee in that group.

Spend the money once and enjoy it forever.
    HotGuns likes this.

My dad passed a young man, and when the Communist Republic of Livermore PD showed up, they advised my uncle that the reloading supplies would likely have to be confiscated as hazardous materials... But were nice enough to buy his dillon 550 and a dbl bbl breach loader he was fitting with a hand made exotic wood stock for $150.... only deepening my love affair with the state. Thanks, Livermore. Go Dillon, like there aren't options.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I ended up buying a lee, I figured there was a sucker to pawn it off on if I didn't like it.

needless to say, I like it...and this sucker plans on keeping it.

I have an ADD personality so the LM/tweaking it is right up my alley, i've loaded a few hundred rounds already.

But I used it as a single stage at first and worked my way up to letting the LM do everything for me.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar

Cool

looking to reload towards the end of the year thanks for the post
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I use single stage for my .30-06 and a Lee 4-die Turret for pistol. I couldn't afford a Dillon when I started reloading for pistol and didn't want to wait until I could. If I had to do it all over again, perhaps I'd hold out for a Dillon (and only a Dillon). However, the pragmatic side of me says I did the right thing. I just don't shoot enough to need the speed of a good progressive press. Not from a lack of interest; just a lack of time, cooperative weather and a lack of suitable (to my training style & needs) facilities in this area.

If you plan to shoot a lot (especially since your wife is now active), go with the Dillon. JMHO....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've been running a Hornady LNL for some years now and I really like it. Of course, you get to know the quirks as time passes. I've inherited my dad's Dillon and I'll be mounting it today on the bench. Yeah, life is tough, I know. But I'd rather have my dad back and no Dillon, that's for sure. Anyway I'm looking forward to learning this one. Dillon is supposed to be the final word.

Good luck with your new stuff!
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links