Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader

This is a discussion on Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I had (sold it last summer) been reloading pretty much everything with my lee challenger (probably done 20k rounds through it) I regret it when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking at switching to progessive-ish reloader

I had (sold it last summer) been reloading pretty much everything with my lee challenger (probably done 20k rounds through it)

I regret it when I quit reloading, I miss having custom 45 loads and 30 loads.

Been looking at a turrent or a progressive type reloader but get so confused on how incomplete info is on them on what you need, been 10 years since ive toyed with buying one....its time.

I think for my needs a turrent type would be fine being as im use to going slow anyway, I now am shooting 223 and plan on getting an old mauser again and reloading anything with decent quality is my only option there.

I'm thinking about the lee 4 hole turrent, but I find that my challenger is kinda whimpy on large rifle rounds.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    For anyone not looking to crank out mountains of ammo, a single-stage press is hard to beat. If you're a shooter that goes thru 500-600 rounds a weekend, then a progressive is definitely the way to go. I look at turrets as an inbetween of the two--not as fast/not as slow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not so much as mountians, but I don't like hand priming and I like to rathole ammo.

I shoot about 300-400rds of ammo when I hit the range, but now the wife is shooting im sure that will increase...after looking at that video of the lee turrent working I was pretty excited about those after seeing it.

Got a DIllon 650 for my my handgun reloads. I love it. Friend has a lee and we have tried each others out. Just user preference. Use single press for .308

$199 seems like a rock solid deal to me..

Classic Turret Press Kit - FS RELOADING

I reload with A Dillon 550,I have a case feeder on it but the 550 case feeder only does pistol rounds,for 223 I feed em one at a time.The 550 is manual advance which means you turn the shell plate manually,I had a Lee 1000 first and the primer feed sucked,many primers inserted sideways and some even upside down.I can crank out about 4 - 500 rounds an Hr on my 550 without breaking a sweat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Buy a dillon it worth it what a great press
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    $199 seems like a rock solid deal to me..

Classic Turret Press Kit - FS RELOADING
    I used a single stage for years and they are fine if you don't need high volume. For you needs I think the one you've linked to might do you just fine. Take a look at a similar offering at Kempf's--https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.f lypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer _id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41 --it could be closer to what you need. Of course, there is no problem with the 550 if you have the $ to spend!

Other items to consider getting started scale and calipers.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Looks like that one is a better deal, I'd be getting 1 die but the one from lee comes with a powder scale (big deal its a POS anyway)

I have scales and calipers already.

What is this pro auto measure they speak of?

My Lee classic turret works great for .223.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Dillon

Is is all you need to know.

My hornady lnl AP can crank out a pretty sizable mound of ammo in a short time. Even loading the cases and bullets by hand.

VIP Member
    You still have to ride herd on a progressive. When it screws up, it can do it big time. I still single stage rifle and mag pistol rounds, and a good powder dispenser is handy.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I don't think i'll get a progressive, I've pretty much made my mind up on getting a turrent now...for the money and amount I shoot, not worth it.

I like my Hornady LNL progressive. It self indexes the shell plate like the Dillon 650 when you stroke the handle. All I have to do is insert a piece of brass in station 1, get a bullet ready for seating at station 4, and stroke the handle. Repeat.

I like the auto indexing because it is a step that doesn't require a specific human interaction to do. The more the machine does for you, the less chance for an error like a double charge or a squib.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links