Going To Start Reloading ...

This is a discussion on Going To Start Reloading ... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Lyman's reloading guide should be in everyone's library. I believe the latest edition is #49. Harbor Freight dial caliper $10.00+/- More than accurate enough for ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Going To Start Reloading ...

Sponsor
    Lyman's reloading guide should be in everyone's library. I believe the latest edition is #49.
    Harbor Freight dial caliper $10.00+/- More than accurate enough for pistol reloading. HF also has a decent tumbler though you can get the Frankford tumbler cheaper if you catch them on sale at Midway

I'm a Lee Fanboi. I have the Classic 3 hole Turret for my pistol rounds and the Anniversary Challenger single stage for my long guns. I would recommend upgrading the Auto disc to the pro version if you are going to use it for charging. I use the safety prime feature on both and have not had any problems. I have never used the hand primers though so I can't say which is better.

I think I would go with a Dillon if I ever move up to progressive but I haven't seen the need yet.

ETA:

I just picked up a small digital scale from Hornady and it does the job nicely. The Lee balance is very accurate but a bit tricky to read consistently.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Thanks guys

I've updated my list a little

-Lyman's #49, Speer #14, and Lee Modern Redloading 2nd Edition Manuals

-Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit

-Lee Deluxe Carbide Four Pistol Die Set (starting with .45)

-Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings

-Lyman Bullet Puller

-Lee case Length Gauge

-MTM Universal Case Loading Blocks

-Cabelas Caliper

-Unique Powder

-CCI Primers

-Brass ... Not sure, need some help there

-Bullets ... Also not sure, need help

-Also should I add an electronic scale to the Lee Safety Scale??

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    +1 on the no trimmer if your just doing pistol.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned a case gauge!

Case gauges have helped me diagnose and fix more problems than I can count.

They have helped me with every sizing issue I have ever encountered which equates to feeding and failure to go into battery issues, and case trim length (mainly for rifle).

There cheap buy a case gauge o an btw BUY A CASE GAUSE for ever caliber you load.

One more thing get a light that has one of those built in magnifying glasses LOWES or home depot has them for around $ 20. Light is your friend.........
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

A chronograph was definitely on my original list of things to get along with the press when I started reloading. I hate guesswork, and a chronograph will definitely verify your loadings up against published load data. I have personally witnessed differences between actual fps speeds and published load data speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    +1 on the no trimmer if your just doing pistol.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned a case gauge!

Case gauges have helped me diagnose and fix more problems than I can count.

They have helped me with every sizing issue I have ever encountered which equates to feeding and failure to go into battery issues, and case trim length (mainly for rifle).

There cheap buy a case gauge o an btw BUY A CASE GAUSE for ever caliber you load.

One more thing get a light that has one of those built in magnifying glasses LOWES or home depot has them for around $ 20. Light is your friend.........
    I have a case gauge on my list!! I'm going to mount a light above my bench, but a magnifying glass seems like it would be handy as well

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by macdsc View Post
    ...-Brass ... Not sure, need some help there

-Bullets ... Also not sure, need help

-Also should I add an electronic scale to the Lee Safety Scale??
    I just buy a couple boxes of White box every now and then and I have a few friends that don't reload that save their brass for me. I've never bought new unloaded brass for my pistol calibers.

I load hard cast lead for my pistols and pick it up at gun shows from a few of the local casters. I have heard very good things about Berry's(sp?) and Master Cast though I have never used them myself.

Are you going to use the dippers from Lee for powder charging? or are you going to measure each charge? If you are going to use the dippers then I would not worry about a digital scale. You can verify your charge with the lee balance every so often. It is an accurate scale just not the best for quick reads. If you are going to measure every charge(I do for rifle but not my pistol loads) then a digital scale and powder trickler are in order. The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is going to have a fairly high degree of variation though the magnitude will depend on the powder you are dispensing. for my rifle charges, I set mine for a half grain or so short and trickle to my desired charge. For my pistols I just use the Auto Disc Pro on the turret press as I am not as anal about the charge being exact to 1/10gn. for my hand guns. If you keep the hopper full and are consistent in your actions, it is pretty consistent. I do verify every 20 rnds or so.
    Last edited by luvmy40; February 25th, 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Get the light/magnifying glass swivel light. Mine Is made by intertek

Search google magnifying lamps. Maybe I was a little generous on the price I got mine for Christmas.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Even though it's more expensive than others out there, the Dillon electronic scale is the one I would get if it were up to me. I have used this one in the past without problems.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    sorry I forgot about the case gauges and forgot to type it in. yes they are nice and speed up the process.

I have some new brass that was ready to load and some that needed trimmed.

I just replace my Dillon electric scale with a new real scale, the Dillion is just ok not that precise check out a Sartorius GD 503 scale if you want a real scale! Please go spend some time with your friend and reload some rifle rounds. You will learn so much and will be able to run the pistol rounds.

Aw, gee, Rob99, didn't you read my post #14 where I mentioned the case gauge?

mac, about the calipers I'd skip the digital models and just get the dial type. I'm quite leery of the plastic ones, but the "economy" grade from McMaster-Carr (#2289A45, $31) is pretty decent and holds its calibration well. You don't need a Starrett or B&S instrument, but I would avoid the real cheapies. Their gears aren't hard enough to keep from wearing even in moderate use.

For powder scales, go to the Midway catalog on-line and read the customer reviews about scales, especially the digital electronic ones. Some are sensitive to drafts and prone to zero shift after being turned on for a while. Not saying they're bad, or that I don't want one, just be aware of their limitations. If you're going to weigh every charge, though, I can't imagine you'd want anything else.

Bullets: I reload to save money, and at least for my .38s and .45s, lead bullets are the most economical. Copper-washed or plated bullets add cost with little advantage, for me; I get a little leading but I clean it out after maybe 1000 rounds or so. I'm lucky to have a local bullet supplier (Billy Bullets) and all his stuff is moly coated, which cuts down on leading a bit. The 200 grain bullets I use run me about 9 cents a round.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Sierra
    bullets

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Aw, gee, Rob99, didn't you read my post #14 where I mentioned the case gauge .
    My bad guess the eyes see what they want to C. Maybe next time you should mention it 3 times like I did in my post :)

VIP Member
    How do you plan to lube your cases?

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    trimmer---beg to differ. expensive and useful more for rifle.

i reload all pistol for 40 + years and have never trimmed a pistol case or had a round fail to load cause it was too long

buy from MIssourie lead ( hes here and gives a discount) his lube is as smokless as they get.
    if you are goin for +p loads get the hard lead. but try to replicate factory 1st.
    dillion eliminater scale and dial calipers for $30. 3 die pistol is fine. taper crimp is safer than
    relying on neck tension with x-shot cases. READ THE MANUAL---twice.
    follow the directions. unlike cooking food, these formulas are written in stone--for the beginner.

turret to start and the mentioned dillion 550 includes rifle. a Square Deal is less expensive but is pistol only.
    and the dies are propiarity and $125 per caliber. the dillions load bullseye quality ammo.
    The only problem that I have ever had with handgun cartridges stretching is with uneven crimping when using heavy crimps. This causes a longer case to have a heavier or uneven crimp than other loads in the same batch.

Michael

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lee hand press and hand primer. You'd be surprised how many cases you can size and prime while watching your favorite TV show. It's a win-win.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links