Going To Start Reloading ...

This is a discussion on Going To Start Reloading ... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, I have been reading a lot on the Internet, watching YouTube videos etc. I have ZERO experience reloading anything, so this is all ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Going To Start Reloading ...

Hey guys, I have been reading a lot on the Internet, watching YouTube videos etc. I have ZERO experience reloading anything, so this is all going to be totally new to me.

I am clearing my bench and re organizing the garage a little to get a nice space set up. I do not have any equipment as of yet, but I have been researching a ton. I will be loading .380, .38 special, .40 s&w, and .45 acp (I believe I will "cut my teeth on the .45)

So far here is what I am thinking as far as equipment goes:
    -Manuals ...

-Lee 50th Anniversary Breech Lock Loading Kit

-Lee Carbide Pistol Die Set (should I get the 3 die set, or the deluxe with the 4th die?)

-Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings (do you need one for each die?? ... Like you need 3 quick change bushings for a 3 piece die set??)

-MTM Universal Loading Blocks

-Bullet Puller

-Caliper

-Obviously Components ...

Since I have not saved my brass over the years, I will be starting with new brass, and will eventually add a tumbler to clean brass.

Is there anything else that I am missing to get started? Anything that I don't need that I have listed?? Anything that you would substitute??

Thanks so much!!
    Michael

VIP Member
    You will need a trimmer, Lee makes them for each caliber and they are cheap. Even the new brass needs to be trimmed.
    I like to prep the flash holes on new brass and get rid of the burrs. I also like to clean up the inside and out side edge of the mouth with a champfer tool. You will need to clean the primer pockets on used brass.

You are going to want some plastic bins for the components, a better scale, small funnel if it did not find its way into the kit.
    The kit is a great way to start.

carbide dies are nice the 3 die set is going to be fine. How are you going to Prime the cases is it in the machine or a hand primer? If it is ahand primer by lee you need the primer holders for each caliber and they are different than the holders for the press.

If you load alot you will want to replace the Lee with a Dillion 550 at some point.

VIP Member
    AND get several loading books, get one from Hornaday, Sierra and maybe another. read them and compare the loads.
    it is ok to look on the internet but don't believe every thing you see on line. Sorry but there can be a lot of bull out there.

Thanks for the response. The kit comes with a case cutter, and a chamfer tool as well (as I read in the description online), and it also says it comes with a primer pocket cleaner.

It also comes with a safety primer (both for LPs and SPs) that it used with the press from my understanding

VIP Member
    Once you get the kit and set up plan on some more smaller purchases, You will find ways to do things that work better for you. In time you will have a set up that works great and you will come up with a system.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    trimmer---beg to differ. expensive and useful more for rifle.

i reload all pistol for 40 + years and have never trimmed a pistol case or had a round fail to load cause it was too long

buy from MIssourie lead ( hes here and gives a discount) his lube is as smokless as they get.
    if you are goin for +p loads get the hard lead. but try to replicate factory 1st.
    dillion eliminater scale and dial calipers for $30. 3 die pistol is fine. taper crimp is safer than
    relying on neck tension with x-shot cases. READ THE MANUAL---twice.
    follow the directions. unlike cooking food, these formulas are written in stone--for the beginner.

turret to start and the mentioned dillion 550 includes rifle. a Square Deal is less expensive but is pistol only.
    and the dies are propiarity and $125 per caliber. the dillions load bullseye quality ammo.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks guys ... I believe I'm going to start with Unique Powder, as a lot of people recommend that, especially for beginners.

Keep the suggestions coming guys! I really appreciate it!!

Ok apparently you can order the kit to prime brass on the press, or you can get it with a hand priming tool as well. Can someone tell which I would be better off with??

VIP Member
    I have both and hand prime everything. I find it is quicker and gives you a better feel for what is going on.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Ok thanks ... With the hand primer, you would first flare the casings with the press, then use the hand primer to prime them correct??

Your going to have fun. Put on a good movie or some tunes and you will be cranking out rounds in no time. Trimmer for pistol brass I will let you decide. I know folks that are on both sides of the fence. For rifle a must. Do you have a friend that reloads? Do some with him if you do. But just enjoy it!

I have a buddy that does rifle only, no pistol though ... Thanks guys I really appreciate it the advice so far. I got a decent space in the garage all cleaned up. I need to go get a light to hang up yet above my bench, and most importantly I have to buy everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by macdsc View Post
    Ok thanks ... With the hand primer, you would first flare the casings with the press, then use the hand primer to prime them correct??
    Either order is fine. You just have to insert a primer and flare the case mouth before you add powder.

.45 ACP is good to start with... it's a low-pressure round, doesn't take a lot of powder, and those fat bullets are easy to handle when you're ready to seat 'em. The only thing about autopistol loads is that you have to pay attention to overall length, or else you risk running into feeding problems. The first few dozen rounds I loaded didn't feed well at all, since I seated the bullets too deep - trying to follow the manual. I ended up measuring the overall length of factory ammo that I knew fed well, and aimed for that OAL with my reloads. Obviously, OAL is less critical with revolvers as long as you don't exceed the depth of the cylinder!

I have mostly Hornady dies, and for the .45 I ended up getting the Lee factory crimp die, which made life easier. I had a heck of a time getting enough crimp on my loads without disturbing the bullet depth, so now the #3 die simply seats the bullets and the crimping die is the last step. Again, probably not necessary for revolver cartridges. A particularly useful accessory I picked up is a Wilson case gauge, which mimics the chamber of your pistol. If your rounds are bulging or too long, this gauge will let you know. In the early stages I checked every round; now that I have the 'recipe' and the process down, I just check a few random rounds from each lot I crank out.

For the inevitable mistakes you'll make, a kinetic bullet puller will let you reclaim powder, bullet and case. I have a Lyman which works great, but they all look about the same.

In line with claude clay's experience, I haven't found a need to trim pistol brass.
    Rob99VMI04 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks a ton guys!!

What caliper would you guys recommend?? Cabelas has a few different electronic ones that look nice, one is only $21.99 but not sure how good it is.

Also, should I add a electronic scale to the Lee scale that comes in the kit?? ... If so please recommend me one

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links