Well heck...

This is a discussion on Well heck... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I spent a long time looking at the "Let's See Your Reloading Bench" thread. Whats immediately apparant is the passion that all of you have ...

Thread: Well heck...

Well heck...

I spent a long time looking at the "Let's See Your Reloading Bench" thread. Whats immediately apparant is the passion that all of you have for reloading. While the layouts, setups, etc., vary what doesn't is the organization and the obvious care you have given to your equipment. I'm reminded of the old saw that you can judge a craftsman by how well he takes care of his tools. Just looking at your pics it was easy to understand how a man could spend hours at his bench.

I've always liked working with my hands creating things. I learned early on that there is an art and science to becoming proficient at doing this. I'm going to build an adequate bench with a simple kit. I have 6 large coffee cans full of once shot .223 and .45 brass to begin learning with. I should also say that I probably don't shoot enough to justify the costs to reload vs off the shelf bulk, but I don't think this is so much about money as simply the doing of it.

Dam this is long winded and a bit silly...I guess what I'm trying to say is curse you and thank you...I think.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Long winded? Hardly!

I finally invested in reloading equipment about this time last year, and it was long overdue. While my gear was on order, I built a rock-solid bench that's dedicated to my shooting stuff, absolutely no "pollution" with household projects. A friend was re-doing her kitchen so I got an overhead kitchen cabinet to provide closed-door storage for things that shouldn't get dusty (the bench is in my garage, and dust is a major annoyance but a fact of life here in AZ). I've cranked out about 4000 rounds since last spring, mostly .45, so my investment has nearly paid for itself. Plus, my .38 and .45 reloads are more accurate then the practice ammo I'd been buying!

Once the Garand gets back from the shop, I'll start dialing in loads for that, too... plus the .30-30... then the .30-06 bolt gun... you see where I'm headed. It's interesting in its own right, and the flexibility it gives you with ammo is nearly priceless. Just one more reason to never be bored!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Huh? Reloading is field engineering without college! Anybody that reloads never need to feel embarrassed. Many will never even attempt it. If you need more quality once fired brass, just drop me a line. I hand load for my bolt actions. You need not live up to others' expectations, nor do you need to create goals according to others. Just make good ammo that shoots well.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Welcome to the addiction!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Awesome ... I just cleaned a whole bench off in my garage and started setting it up (hung a light, bin organizer, shelf, paper towel holder) and am ready to start reloading myself (still have to buy all of my reloading supplies!). I'm eager to learn, and also excited to start! Good luck with everything!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Nothing like creating that special round for your hunting rifle. That special load that your rifle really likes.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    An artist doesn't paint because he make pictures cheaper than buying them; it's the love of the painting. So it goes for reloading--but it is cheaper than buying too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Reloading to me is therapy.... I take my time, I double and triple check all weights and when I am done, I weigh them again..... it is nice to get away from the world sometimes and go to my little corner of the garage where I can focus on something else for a change. This is why I still use the hand press and single stage press. It is definitely a different type of therapy than shooting.

I've spent a couple of days reading the posts in this forum. Will spend several more days reading as well. Just a lot of information, advice and help in them. I intend to start with reading the books mentioned on loading then I'll get a single stage press and the basic supplies, equipment.

First however, will be building out my gun room. I intend to move the safe from the garage into it and build a bench, shelves, etc. Your pics were very helpful and frankly I'm copying some of your ideas. As others have said I look forward to spending time disconnected from life. I don't care how long it takes me to make a round. Perhaps I will eventually dabble in custom rounds for my rifles, but first I think I'll just concentrate on making safe handgun rounds.

I'll bump this post if I have questions. (...if I have, he said!)
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Links