40 S&W 165gr gdhp loads

This is a discussion on 40 S&W 165gr gdhp loads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am trying to get a good starting point for some 165gr Speer GDHP bullets. Below is some data from a couple books for either ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 40 S&W 165gr gdhp loads

40 S&W 165gr gdhp loads

I am trying to get a good starting point for some 165gr Speer GDHP bullets.

Below is some data from a couple books for either GDHP's or JHP's. There is one TMJ from the Lyman book listed.

How come the Speer loads are so much more? I am using Accurate #5 powder. I have been loading berrys 155gr (hbrn) @ 6.5gr and armscor (fmj-fp) @ 6.5/6.7gr with good results.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start with these 165gr speer gdhp, and why the speer manual shows such different data than the other books? Thanks.

Speer 12 -
    155gr: 7.9 - 8.7
    180gr: 7.0 - 7.8

Lyman 48
    135gr: 7.2 - 8.3
    150gr: 6.9 - 7.7

165gr (TMJ): 6.9 - 7.6

Hornady 4th Edition
    155gr: 6.4 - 7.9
    180gr: 5.7 - 6.5

2. Remove Ads

I can't speak to the specific loads, but - look at the cartridge overall length specified in each "cookbook." The seated depth of the bullet makes a substantial difference in the remaining case volume, which in turn affects the pressure, and that might be the reason for the difference in the Speer data. They can't possibly list all the variations in charge weight vs. seating depth, leaving the reloader to intelligently interpolate charge values.

The other thing you can do is look at the powder manufacturer's data. I see Accurate shows 6.5 to 7.2 gr of #5 for a Sierra 165 grain JHP with a COAL of 1.125". That seems consistent with the Lyman and Hornady data, so I'd be inclined to start there rather than with the Sierra data.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

i have a old speer book... it has some "warm" loads... but i have never had a issue

Every book showing different powders are going to show different data. Look at 5 different books and you get 5 different stats. Start on the low side and go to the high side and see what gives you the best result. When I was loading I watched the primers and you could tell when you got hot because the primers would bulge out or the case would show heat stress

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I agree with gassmitty; when loads are quite different, look at the Overall Length, which really is an indication of seating depth. This has a big effect on pressure.

Since you are loading using AA #5, go to their web site and look at the reloading data. It's pretty extensive and I notice that they change it and update it as well.

Alliant's web site has load data for Speer Gold Dots using their powder (Power Pistol, Unique etc.). Remember though that the data is for Maximum loads, so start out lower and work up......especially with 40 cal, which is already a high pressure round.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Well I decided to go with 5 each of 6.5, 6.7, 6.9, 7.1, and 7.2gr.

I will shoot them at the range tomorrow. Thank you for your help guys.

I based these numbers off the minimun/max loads from the Accurate data, and your suggestions. OAL is 1.125.

Links