Possible trade, need advice. Lee turret+single stage for a Hornady Progressive

This is a discussion on Possible trade, need advice. Lee turret+single stage for a Hornady Progressive within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hello everyone. I am looking for some advice on a proposed trade to make sure Im not getting hosed. I have a Lee Classic Turret ...

Hello everyone. I am looking for some advice on a proposed trade to make sure Im not getting hosed. I have a Lee Classic Turret and Lee Classic Single stage. The turret is about 1 month old, the single stage is only a week old. Ive been offered a trade. A guy wants to give me the Hornady Lock n Load progressive with 4 shell plates (none that i need though), attached powder measure, large and small primer tubes. Has an ejector arm but no catch bin. Fella said it was 2 years old. He wants both my presses and a couple other odds and ends (no money). Says he just doesnt shoot enough and would prefer the turret/single stage. he sent me a pic and it looked to be in great shape, although the pic wasnt the best quality.

What do you all think? I am very tempted, but know that progressives can be finicky. I dont wanna trade my working presses and this one end up having something wrong. To those more familiar with the hornady, what should I "look out" for?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

I have the Hornady and the case feeder and bullet feeder… LOVE them, with this set up I don’t have to do anything but pull the handle.

Progressive systems SOMETIMES get a bad rap saying they are sooooo much harder to set up. Truth is no, you just set up each die as you would in the single press. Once you get it set up, with the Hornady bushing system, you can set the dies and forget about them. If you need to change over, you just turn the bushing and remove it and install another one with the next die.

You can switch back and not have to readjust your die. With the bushing system it is fast and easy and the Hornady is a GREAT machine…. Never a problem either with customer service, if you ever need to call them they take care of you right a way. If you have any issues at all with the equipment or even set up they are spot on.

Personally I think it is a good trade and you will be glad you did…

Links