RCBS Pro 2000 primer system.... I HATE it

This is a discussion on RCBS Pro 2000 primer system.... I HATE it within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; A little history, I have Dillon RL550B with case feeder, Hornady LNL AP with bullet feeder and case feeder, 2 Hornady single stage machines, 2 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By onacoma
  • 1 Post By XD40OD

Thread: RCBS Pro 2000 primer system.... I HATE it

Exclamation RCBS Pro 2000 primer system.... I HATE it

A little history, I have Dillon RL550B with case feeder, Hornady LNL AP with bullet feeder and case feeder, 2 Hornady single stage machines, 2 MEC machines one 9000GN and one 600Jr, Forster machine and two old LEE machines and now a new RCBS Pro 2000 and I HATE the primer feeding system on the RCBS…

No matter what I try about halfway through the strip it locks in place… I messed up a few strips getting them out and RCBS replaced them for free and even walked through the system with CS, it still will not work right…

Anyone else have this trouble and if you did, what was your fix if any? I am about ready to sell this and get another Dillon..

2. Remove Ads

Here is what it is doing...
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    You need to by-pass CS and go to the man in charge! Here is his contact information:

Mr. Kent Sakamoto
    RCBS Product Line Manager
    ATK Armament Systems

605 Oro Dam Blvd
    Oroville, Ca 95965

Business: (530) 538-2691
    Business Fax: (530) 533-1647

E-mail: kent.sakamoto@atk.com

I would send him an email with the pictures. I have not had this isssue with mine, yet! Please let us know if it is resolved.
    XD40OD likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    You need to by-pass CS and go to the man in charge! Here is his contact information:

Mr. Kent Sakamoto
    RCBS Product Line Manager
    ATK Armament Systems

605 Oro Dam Blvd
    Oroville, Ca 95965

Business: (530) 538-2691
    Business Fax: (530) 533-1647

E-mail: kent.sakamoto@atk.com

I would send him an email with the pictures. I have not had this isssue with mine, yet! Please let us know if it is resolved.
    Thank you for this info, I just wrote him and sent him the photos also. I will let you know what happens.
    Thanks again
    Gunner

A couple comments:
    1. I can't tell what caliber you are loading for, but I noticed you are using the red primer strip which is usually for magnum primers. Have you tried the white strips which are for standard primers?

2. If you haven't already done it, you need to unscrew the primer seating tool from the bottom of the baseplate, plus remove the shell plate and head (only 2 bolts), and clean out any plastic shards and other debris that were left behind. The plastic shards will interfere with a new primer strip advancing in the tool, and just cause you to shred more strips. I found this out the hard way when I first got my 2000.

3. I also found that when I load the strips using the APS strip loading tool, I have better luck if I press the handle down twice, to make sure all the primers are pushed fully into the strip

4. My auto index was not properly set at the factory, so the shell plate wouldn't get positioned early enough for the primer seating operation. Therefore, the primer seat tool was trying to seat the primer before it was centered in the shell plate, and before the primer strip was positioned. I think this was the major root cause of strip wear. I found that by dorking around with the auto-index adjustment (on the LHS of the shell plate), I could get the shell plate to advance into place more quickly during the press operation, so it was in position long before the primer seat tool starts to come up. I might add that this just required a very miniscule adjustment of the indexer, so don't go crazy on it. This alone probably was the most important thing that I did to get the machine running right, and I didn't mess anything else up in the process. The one indexing adjustment was all I ever had to make, and it has been working fine through 4 caliber changeovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    A couple comments:
    1. I can't tell what caliber you are loading for, but I noticed you are using the red primer strip which is usually for magnum primers. Have you tried the white strips which are for standard primers?

2. If you haven't already done it, you need to unscrew the primer seating tool from the bottom of the baseplate, plus remove the shell plate and head (only 2 bolts), and clean out any plastic shards and other debris that were left behind. The plastic shards will interfere with a new primer strip advancing in the tool, and just cause you to shred more strips. I found this out the hard way when I first got my 2000.

3. I also found that when I load the strips using the APS strip loading tool, I have better luck if I press the handle down twice, to make sure all the primers are pushed fully into the strip

4. My auto index was not properly set at the factory, so the shell plate wouldn't get positioned early enough for the primer seating operation. Therefore, the primer seat tool was trying to seat the primer before it was centered in the shell plate, and before the primer strip was positioned. I think this was the major root cause of strip wear. I found that by dorking around with the auto-index adjustment (on the LHS of the shell plate), I could get the shell plate to advance into place more quickly during the press operation, so it was in position long before the primer seat tool starts to come up. I might add that this just required a very miniscule adjustment of the indexer, so don't go crazy on it. This alone probably was the most important thing that I did to get the machine running right, and I didn't mess anything else up in the process. The one indexing adjustment was all I ever had to make, and it has been working fine through 4 caliber changeovers.
    Thank you for the info, yes I am trying to load 44mags. I have done all of what you said, even went through it with the CS from RCBS... Nothing works so I wrote Kent above and will wait to see what he says.

Update:

Mr Sakamoto called my cell phone, I was not able to take the call at the time. He left a very nice message and wants me to call him Tues to discuss this and he has a good idea of what the issue could be. He was very nice in his voice message. I will call him and let you know how it goes.

Now I have had people PM me and I have to admit I love the solid contruction of the RCBS Pro 2000 but at the time I wrote the OP I was very upset with the PRIMING SYSTEM on the machine so yes maybe I was a little harsh in my title of this post... Had I waited until I cooled off I would have had to something like Problems with the primer system... etc...

I will let you know what he comes up with and what the fix is just in case anyone else runs across this same issue...
    Thanks

Spent over 30mins on the phone today with Mr. Sakamoto and he was the best to deal with, we went through everything step by step per his direction, they are going to replace the guts of the primer system to be 100% sure but what it looks to be was a SLIGHTLY and I mean ever so slightly bend on the primer 'punch' itself.

Which he said would at certain times as that punch rotates would end up messing up the strips. Which is also why it was not consistant like say every 2nd or 3rd or 7th primer...etc...

So if this ever happens to you, check that out FIRST...

Thank you for all the advice and info on "The Man" to call, it was worth it and as I said he was great to deal with.
    miatakix likes this.

Links