Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly - Page 2

Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly

This is a discussion on Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Beware the load data that doesn't specify what cartridge it is for!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Beware the load data that doesn't specify what cartridge it is for!

After looking at the info you provided (and running a search on cam pro to find out that it is plated), your specs look okay, although they seem a bit long, and it does sound like you are "failing" the plunk test. Work with dummy rounds and shorten your OAL until you routinely get a length that will fall freely into and out of your barrel. You probably won't have to shorten the round more than a couple of hundredths. I would leave the powder charge where it is until you get the round where it fits the chamber. Then work up 10 test rounds to check function.

BTW, the Lyman data are for an OAL much shorter than you are using.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I'd like to point out that the OP has yet to specify for which cartridge he is loading. Without that information all advice is meaningless.

pistol is chambered for 9mm Parabellum, no Lead just Copper coated i dont believe my barrel is hammer forged. I have got the rounds to seat properly in the chamber and tried those set rounds at the range it seemed to have helped a bit but still having the stoppages so ill try to up the powder. Again im new to this so ill ask, now the book says minium load is 3.1gr and the max is 3.5gr some of you are saying your firing at 4.0- 5.0 so im asking though the book says the max is 3.5 for that type powder for that type of round can i go to a 4.0 and still be safe?

The new over all length is 1.124 at this OAL it seats properly in the chamber, i fired 50 rounds of this set the first set of 10 fired great with only one stoppage then after it seem to have more and more stoppages again. With all the suggestions on this post ill try to up the powder and see if it will remedy the issue.

I'll have to check on the other specs, OAL and powder charges, etc., but for now thanks for the additional data.

Regarding the barrel, hammer forging is merely the process and can be used to form both standard land-and-groove or hexagonal twist rifling in the barrel. The danger lies in the type of rifling used. The problem comes when using lead bullets without a jacket. Since lead is softer it tends to seal the bore more completely than jacketed bullets. This is because hexagonal rifling has a more obtuse angle which is more easily filled in with the lead as it expands. So, you get less of a gap at each angle with less gas blow-by therefore it develops higher pressures in the barrel. This doesn't happen with jacketed bullets which is why GlOCK says not to use lead bullets.

Anyway sorry for the lengthy response but when dealing with things that go boom, we need to understand the details.

Watch for signs of high pressure as you work up the load. Difficulty with extraction, flattened primers, etc.

Greenmachine,

After a little more research it looks like you might be better off going to a little slower powder. It is possible that you are experiencing extraction problems because the load is too hot for your gun. The data I looked at listed 3.3 grains of Universal as the maximum. A powder that more nearly fills the case should give you better consistency and accuracy, as well as more velocity, although each gun is a law unto itself. In general, the heavier the bullet the slower the burn rate, although some very nice light plinking loads can be had at reduced charges of fast powders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links