Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly

This is a discussion on Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Im new to reloading i have a Dillion 550b and i ve started reloading 9mm now ive consulted my book many times checked my measurements ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly

Im new to reloading i have a Dillion 550b and i ve started reloading 9mm now ive consulted my book many times checked my measurements and they are all ok but when i go to fire my newly made rounds through my Sig Sauer p226 it turns in to a single shot it stoppage after stoppage the weapon does not want cycle completely 99% of the time the brass doesnt extract at all or stove pipes. Ive fired many factory made rounds through my weapon and never have a stoppage. I dont know where to go from here and need some help figuring out what it is im doing wrong..

Under-powered rounds, maybe? What powder load are you using, and with what bullet?

Im using 147 gr(Cam pro) bullet and the Powder im using is Universal with a charge of 3.3 and thats what the book is telling me to use. ive also notice when remove my barrel and drop a factory made round it goes in with ease and can be turn by hand in either direction but when i take my round that i have made it does sit perfectly like the factory you have kinda press it down but if i do i noticed it kinda of sticks a bit and not able to turn the round inside the chamber freely like the factory round. Could it be that my over all length is to long and needs to be shortened?

Did you check the cases before you loaded them to see if they needed trimmed?

brass is at proper length

Your very likely over belling the case mouth,you want just enough bell that the bullet will clear,if the case looks like the top has mushroomed out,even a little it will leave a slight bulge even after final crimp and that is what is causing your cases to stick.
    I remember some of my first reloads,about 1/2 of them I had to smack the back of the slide to get it into battery,over time I learned a few lessons from trial and error
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Do I understand correctly that you are reloading 9mm Action Express?

I have a number of questions.

Are you using new brass?
    Have you checked the head spacing on the cartridge? I'm not sure, but being a necked down case it probably head spaces on the shoulder, If you are using fired brass it will need to be fully re-sized before firing in your gun.

The over-all length may be too great and engaging the rifling. Are there any marks left on the bullet when you extract the round?

Are you sure about that load? 3.3 grains of Unique sounds a bit light for that cartridge, which is normally considerably hotter than the 9mm Luger.

Are the rounds binding (too long) in the magazine?

Proper taper-crimp on case mouth?

You might take measurements of a factory round and compare those to your reloaded rounds.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    i suggest you put up the entire recipe w OAL when seeking reload advise
    Hoganbeg likes this.

More info would certainly help (bullet type, loaded dimensions, etc). That said, most of the above comments probably touch on the problem. As you describe it, the likely culprits or too light a powder charge or a crimp/OAL problem. For a 9mm (9x19) your crimp should be at or close to 0.375. Your charge, depending on OAL, could light for a jacketed 147, but should be okay for lead. Also, if the crimp is okay, work up some dummy rounds and start shortening the round until it falls freely into and out of the chamber. Depending on the outcome of the plunk test, if you are at a shorter OAL than specified in the manual, you may need to further adjust the powder load.

Let us know how this goes.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Lyman reloading handbook 49th edition
    Universal powder at 3.3 grains
    Cam pro Bullet 147gr

Brass after resized
    over all length 0.750
    width of top of brass 0.374
    width of bottom of brass 0.385

Reloaded round
    bullet length 0.646
    bullet width at the base 0.353
    over all length 1.149
    width at top of brass 0.375
    width at bottom of brass 0.387

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    These figures appear to be those for the 9mm Parabellum yet your thread header says, "Having problems with AE 9mm rounds that arent extracting properly". For what cartridge is your pistol chambered?

What you posted is too light of a load, probably even for a 9mm (9x19). I used to shoot about 4.0 to 5.0 grains when loading it but can't remember my powder/weight. Think it was Unique powder. I prefer Bullseye for pistol because you get more bang for the buck (uses less).

If you are using a short barrel pistol (4" or less, rather than a full-size 5"+) then you probably should go to a lighter weight bullet. I have seen LOTS of problems with the 147gr bullet. It's too heavy for the slide to properly cycle back in time without stove-piping like you are saying in short barrels. Solution: don't shoot it in short barrels or make the load hotter. Definitely don't depend on it for self defense. If it's dropping in freely and when removed, no rifling scratches on your bullet, my guess would be too weak powder load or too strong recoil spring or maybe a worn out recoil spring...either could cause a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Im using 147 gr(Cam pro) bullet and the Powder im using is Universal with a charge of 3.3 and thats what the book is telling me to use. ive also notice when remove my barrel and drop a factory made round it goes in with ease and can be turn by hand in either direction but when i take my round that i have made it does sit perfectly like the factory you have kinda press it down but if i do i noticed it kinda of sticks a bit and not able to turn the round inside the chamber freely like the factory round. Could it be that my over all length is to long and needs to be shortened?
    The easiest way to fix this is to get the Lee Factory Crimp die for the last stage on your press. I doubt your OAL is too long, your crimp just isn't set right. I struggled with adjusting the crimp on my seating die, then made life easier with the separate crimp die.

One other really good accessory you should pick (and Dillon sells 'em) is a case gage - invaluable when you're setting up your dies after a change in bullet or seating depth. I still check my rounds randomly, maybe a couple out of every hundred, just to make sure my process hasn't drifted.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My buddy advises if you go over 124grn round probably have issues since he did every time in his firearm as well. Longer barrel allows more gas buildup and power to cycle the slide.

Also, are you using a LEAD bullet or copper coated lead. Some firearms are NOT designed for reloads (dunno about the Sig, but does it have a hammer forged barrel?) such as the Glocks. They sell aftermarket barrels for them you can use for lead, but the original is a hammer-forged hexagonal rifled barrel. It put more bite on the bullet and a better SEAL around it, increasing pressure somewhat to get another 200ft lbs of energy on impact. Lead will cake up and eventually you will see shavings flying out of the end of the barrel, but it could seal it to the point that the gun EXPLODES... That's why there is a big aftermarket barrel industry for them (not just because some want a threaded barrel).

Here's a Load Data Chart for the 147grn:
    9 mm Load Data - Handloads.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links