Do you Reload 357Sig???

This is a discussion on Do you Reload 357Sig??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; If you do, how about some recommendations on bullets. I know I need to use a flat point, but what is giving folks the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you Reload 357Sig???

Do you Reload 357Sig???

If you do, how about some recommendations on bullets. I know I need to use a flat point, but what is giving folks the best results/bang for the buck for reloading this tricky little wonder?

Rainier? Berry's? Zero, (if they can be found)??

Thanks in advance!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

Mind yourself. Never have rolled any for this one, but have spoken to many who have. Some say it's not so bad, others say that short neck is a cast iron pain. All hands agree that this one is for a fellow that has a few years in. Not for greeners. Ye be warned. Hope you do well.

Don't get scared by the others. You have to understand two things:

The cartridge headspaces on the shoulder.
    Bullet tension is critical to preventing bullet setback. This is achieved with proper sizing, not crimping.

Whatever you are using for an expander die, the proper diameter of it should be .354". That .001" will hold any bullet secure enough to mitigate the chance for bullet setback in practical use of that ammunition in a firearm.

The 357 SIG was designed to duplicate the 125gr .357 Magnum load. It does that very well, which is a good thing. Stick with bullets designed for the 357 SIG. Plated, in my experience, are not one for the 357 SIG. Use jacketed.
    claude clay likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Don't get scared by the others. You have to understand two things:

The cartridge headspaces on the shoulder.
    Bullet tension is critical to preventing bullet setback. This is achieved with proper sizing, not crimping.

Whatever you are using for an expander die, the proper diameter of it should be .354". That .001" will hold any bullet secure enough to mitigate the chance for bullet setback in practical use of that ammunition in a firearm.

The 357 SIG was designed to duplicate the 125gr .357 Magnum load. It does that very well, which is a good thing. Stick with bullets designed for the 357 SIG. Plated, in my experience, are not one for the 357 SIG. Use jacketed.
    +1 and I reloaded for range training time only. For the bullets I use Speer 357 SIG/38 Super TMJ FN (Value Pack), 600 rounds of 125gr. Well worth the extra cost. I also use a sizer/trimer die when resizing.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I do have about 1500 rounds of loaded Speer Lawman ammo, so I'm in no rush to start reloading for practice ammo purposes. My Dad bought me a LEE 4 die set for this round last year for my B-Day, but I knew it was a little early for me to try my hand at it.

I have been reading much of what has been mentioned so far and it doesn't hurt to read again, so thanks!

I'll look into the value pack mentioned a little more, cheapest I've seen it so far is about $90. The Zero bullets are jacketed from what I have read and they have one for the 357Sig that runs about $110/1K.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

As for powder choice for reloading the .357SIG, I have heard going to one of the slower burning, more bulky powders can fill the case enough to help prevent bullet setback.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post

I'll look into the value pack mentioned a little more, cheapest I've seen it so far is about $90. The Zero bullets are jacketed from what I have read and they have one for the 357Sig that runs about $110/1K.
    Fastball, if you were starting with 9mm , 40 SW, or 45 ACP I think going with Zero wouldn't be a concern. When I'm reloading those I don't quibble about the bullets, but when I'm doing the Sig I spend a little more time in the details. One thing I do on the Sig is check the overall length of every round after loading my batch. With my 9mm and 40 SW I'm not as concerned. Note I'm not knocking Zero, IMHO just to start reloading I'd go with the Speer because of their past experience. After you get the experienced with your machine and reloading, try everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis
    As for powder choice for reloading the .357SIG, I have heard going to one of the slower burning, more bulky powders can fill the case enough to help prevent bullet setback.
    Only problem with this is if you do get a deeper setback you surcharge the case pressure which can lead to a KABoom.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Here is an additional resource for load data:

AmmoGuide Interactive

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Only problem with this is if you do get a deeper setback you surcharge the case pressure which can lead to a KABoom.
    The whole point about using a bulkier, slower burning powder is to be able to fill the case all the way to the base of the bullet when it is seated. The slower burning powder doesn't produce a high pressure rise to start with, and the bulk of the powder filling the case up to the base of the bullet physically reduces the chance of setback.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I've never handloaded .357 Sig, but I'm gonna give it a go soon. I have new brass, Speer 125 gr. Gold Dot bullets, and AA#9 powder
    I won't be too happy if I can't use a factory crimp die
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    tubby45 speaks well

i re load it and use jacketed . power pistol works well with the p239 conversion ported bbl giving me magnum velocity

and i crimp as well as employ the neck tension
    my crony checks within its accuracy ( +/_ 30 fps)

nice round out of the sig as the recoil is over before you have a chance to notice
    --going with you having a good grip, its a great round for holing the dude behind the BG.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    and the bulk of the powder filling the case up to the base of the bullet physically reduces the chance of setback.
    Giga, I'm not against the concept of using slow burning powder in the 357 Sig., just stating that if you get any bullet setback you're now over compressing the powder charge. As you stated it only reduces the chances; it does not eliminate the problem.

Our OP is starting their reloading adventure with 357 Sig. and there are alot to learn with this round versus a 9mm straight case. All I'm saying maybe they should start with basic loads like 7.2 gr Unique instead of trying 11.2 gr Vihtavuori N105 compressed or 11.0 gr of Blue Dot compressed. Both of the compressed loads are Maximum charges and 1400 fps! Again JMHO.

Another note 7.2 gr of Unique is alot cheaper than 11 gr of either Blue Dot or N105 when loading out 100 rounds or so.

I load Alot of 357 sig and my best performers are a combo of HS-6 and 147gr Hornady XTP
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

VIP Member
    I don't load the 357 sig but I load just about everthing else. I am not a huge fan of the Lee dies, they are made right in my backyard Hartford WI. I like the RCBS dies,Redding and the Dillion die sets. As long you research your loads and projectiles you will be fine. ( by the way I do like the Lee trimmers and the press is ok.) Watch your brass, if in doubt throw it out.

I load a ton of 357 Sig because it is what I carry - therefore it is what I practice with as well.

I use either RCBS or Redding dies ... the reason I say "either" is because I have both in 357 SIG. I already had a set of RCBS dies but I love Redding dies so when I ran across a set I bought them ... and I set them both up on several Rock Chuckers with I am rolling a batch.

I stick with Unique and Blue Dot and I've pressed just about every flavor of .355 pill through my presses known to man.

You can get away with a lot in 357 SIG, but my personal preference, for my P229 DAK SAS, is either a Speer 4360 or 4362 (depending upon if it is a carry load or a practice load), over 7.7 grns of Unique and loaded to 1.135" OAL exactly - and I think it is very important when loading a necked-down pistol cartridge.

I've chronied that recipe through two different Master Betas in several different temperature ranges and it give a very consistent circa 1300 fps result that is not overly difficult to handle and does not worry me about wear and tear on my SIG.

I would not encourage novice reloaders to try 357 SIG until they've had a little practice on 9mm, 40 S&W, etc.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links