Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

This is a discussion on Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I'm looking to get into reloading I have a bunch of stuff already priced out and ready to buy only things left on my ...

Thread: Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

So I'm looking to get into reloading I have a bunch of stuff already priced out and ready to buy only things left on my list are actual materials primers,bullets, brass. I was under the impression that reloading was supposed to save you money in the long run (other than the fact that people say you end up shooting more). But, when I look up supplies I'm seeing bullets 100 for around 26 dollars. I can buy 100 full rounds of WWB at wal mart for 34 dollars. So here is my question. Is there really only a savings if I buy in bulk? Or where am I going wrong in my supply searches? like I said I'm new to this. Be gentle. And any overall advice would be great. Let me know where you guys buy. What you recommend. How much you purchase at a time. Etc. thanks in advance.

VIP Member
    Buying bullets by the 100 does get pricy and usually works for reloading rifle with the exception for .223 or 30 cal where you are better off buying in bulk. As far as pistol calibers yes your biggest savings will be buying in bulk and you will not believe how fast you can go through a box of 500 bullets.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You didn't mention what caliber you're planning to reload, but I can reload a 50-rd box of .45 ACP 230 grn LRNs for about $9.95, and Walmart can't touch that. If I bought my components in bulk (I don't) the saving would be even better. My 9mm Lugers, on the other hand run about the same costs to reload, so the savings aren't as good seeing as 9mm ammo prices have come down quite a bit in the last year.

I don't have the storage space for bulk items, so I buy 500 bullets, maybe 2-300 primers at a time, a 1-lb can of powder, etc. A higher level of bulk would be cheaper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You are buying expensive bullets,the "plated" or the cast lead bullets are a lot cheaper,since I cast my own from lead wheel weights I'm only paying about .02 a bullet.I also buy powder and primers in bulk usually around 16# powder and 20,000 primers on one order so I only pay one hazmat fee.I buy cheap primers and they run about $20.00 1000 figuring in shipping costs on the entire order,Powder runs about $14.00 pound the same way,I have plenty of free brass so I can reload for around $6.00 100 in any Centerfire pistol caliber until you get in 44 mag and above requires another .01 or .02 of powder per case.
    Look at the following companies for components
    Midway usa
    Powder valley
    Wideners
    Graf & sons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To make reloading really save you $$, you must buy in bulk. You didn't say what you load for, but you can get 1K Precision Delta 9mm 124 gr for about $85 (8.50/100)--similar prices for Zero and cheaper for lead. If you buy primers and powder online, buying in bulk is essential to offset the attached $27 HAZMAT fee, I buy at least buy 5K primers and 4 or more lbs of powder at a time. Find other reloaders and split your order with them to further reduce HAZMAT. Powder Valley and Grafs are good sources for components, but shop around, often you will run into sales. Buying in volume seems like overkill, but you'll be surprised how fast you can go through your components.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Savings are definitely related to caliber and purchase quantities. I keep supplies on hand to reload 9mm if needed but really that has more to do with crisis situations than savings. On the other hand, 45acp, 44 magnum, 300 win mag and 338 lapua rounds are the ones that I likely save thousands or year on by reloading. Not to mention the performance gains offered by the process. I'm fortunate though that there is a local gun shop that is very well stocked and will priced on reloading supplies.

sent via iCarry

Sponsored Links