Alliant Power Pistol powder

This is a discussion on Alliant Power Pistol powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Loaded some test rounds today I've never used this powder before 9mm 115gr FMJ CCI #500 Small Pistol Primer Alliant Power Pistol dispensed from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Alliant Power Pistol powder

Loaded some test rounds today I've never used this powder before

9mm 115gr FMJ
    CCI #500 Small Pistol Primer
    Alliant Power Pistol dispensed from a .5g Lee Powder Dipper
    C.O.L. 1.150"

Rounds were "snappy". And pretty loud. And a goodly amount of muzzle flash but not overly so.

Published velocity for this round is 1186 FPS. That's pretty speedy!
    Last edited by ThePontificator; August 26th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

So what was the actual velocity of your loads?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That's one of the Alliant powders I've not sampled. In burning rate it sort of falls in between Unique and Herco I think, a bit slower than Unique and a bit quicker than Herco.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I bet he's flying by Visual Flight Rules.

Gman, what's your chronograph? That's percolating up to the top of the wish list, now that I'm loading for the majors (i.e., Garand).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The burning rate ought to deliver near top velocities at 9mm case capacity and operating pressures. I've not played with 9mm loads extensively but have obtained top performance with Unique while maintaining what appeared to be safe pressures. Blue Dot gave lower velocities. It'd be nice to play the field with 115, 125, and 147 grain bullet and a host of powders.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't own a chronograph so I've no idea.

In addition to the lb. can I have, this afternoon someone gave me a 1/4 can of it along with a 1/4 can of Tite-Group (they were going Hunting in Alaska and they cannot cross the border into Canada with powder.

I've only tried Power Pistol in one load, but was well pleased. My load is 4.1 grains in 9mm, using 147 grain hard cast bullet. This is Lyman's starting load, and according to their data generates 939 fps. Very accurate, and a soft recoiling round to me, relatively speaking. Power Pistol is between Unique and Blue Dot in burning rate.

I looked up a chart for the Lee Auto Disk powder charger. The .49 disk throws 5.5 grains of Power Pistol. The Hornady 8th edition loading manual shows 5.6 grains of Power Pistol generating 1100 fps with a 115 grain JHP/FMJ. The Lyman 49th edition lists 5.9 grains Power Pistol with a 115 grain JHP at 1102 fps.

I'm kind of backing into all this, but this should be about what your load is producing. This is quite a bit different from what was mentioned as published velocity. My Lee die set load data, which is several years old, doesn't list a Power Pistol load. Where are you getting 1260 fps as the published data? 1100 fps with a 115 grain bullet shouldn't feel snappy. Are you sure you're using the .5 dipper? Are you rounding off the top of your dipper rather than giving it a sideways shake to get a level dipper load?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to make some sense out of this, because the listed velocity, recoil, and muzzle blast in your post don't seem consistent with my limited experience with Power Pistol, the Lee dipper mentioned, and published data that I have listed above. If anyone sees an error in my logic, let me know.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I've only tried Power Pistol in one load, but was well pleased. My load is 4.1 grains in 9mm, using 147 grain hard cast bullet. This is Lyman's starting load, and according to their data generates 939 fps. Very accurate, and a soft recoiling round to me, relatively speaking. Power Pistol is between Unique and Blue Dot in burning rate.

I looked up a chart for the Lee Auto Disk powder charger. The .49 disk throws 5.5 grains of Power Pistol. The Hornady 8th edition loading manual shows 5.6 grains of Power Pistol generating 1100 fps with a 115 grain JHP/FMJ. The Lyman 49th edition lists 5.9 grains Power Pistol with a 115 grain JHP at 1102 fps.

I'm kind of backing into all this, but this should be about what your load is producing. This is quite a bit different from what was mentioned as published velocity. My Lee die set load data, which is several years old, doesn't list a Power Pistol load. Where are you getting 1260 fps as the published data? 1100 fps with a 115 grain bullet shouldn't feel snappy. Are you sure you're using the .5 dipper? Are you rounding off the top of your dipper rather than giving it a sideways shake to get a level dipper load?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to make some sense out of this, because the listed velocity, recoil, and muzzle blast in your post don't seem consistent with my limited experience with Power Pistol, the Lee dipper mentioned, and published data that I have listed above. If anyone sees an error in my logic, let me know.
    The original figure of 1260 (published velocity) is incorrect. The 2nd edition of "Modern Reloading" (Richard Lee) shows a published velocity of 1186 FPS. Page 531.

I'm using the recommended dipper which is the .5cc (the one that comes with the Lee die set). I'm leveling the powder in the dipper with the edge of a business card.

What puzzles me is that the weight of a dipped charge of the powder weighs about .7gr less than the recommended starting charge weight of 6.2gr. I have posted this discrepancy on another thread in this forum.l

I think it's because with the dipper you are measuring volume, and with the scale you are measuring weight.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think it's because with the dipper you are measuring volume, and with the scale you are measuring weight.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

I have narrowed down my powders over the years. I use Bullseye (and I have a little bit of Win 231 left) for my target loads, and Unique for everything else. It works for me. I've not tried Power Pistol, but I am a bit intrigued by it. Perhaps some day.

Power Pistol is the only pistol powder I use. It meters well and because it is fairly fluffy, making a double charge extremely easy to spot. Previously, I have used Winchester 231. I generally pick a mid-range load from my Lyman #49 manual but I'm loading .357 Mag at the published maximum with a 125gr XTP. It doesn't disappoint.

I use Power Pistol for 9mm, .40, .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

I haven't chronographed anything, but it feels like an energetic powder. I am very satisfied with the accuracy of my loads and it doesn't seem very dirty.
    Wolf357 likes this.

Power Pistol is a really good powder for the 40 and several others. It gives good velocity with a lot of flash and bang to impress those shooting next to you! I wouldn't go to it as my first choice if I was loading for carry (because of the flash and bang), rather I would lean toward WSF. Anyhow, thanks for the report.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I bought a pound of Power Pistol a couple months ago to see if it would pep my .38 and .44 Special loads without going over pressure limits. It does pretty well.

The burn rate is slower than Unique. So I can get the same velocities as from Unique, but with a gentler pressure curve in the revolver. I like that.
    BamaT likes this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Archie,
    When loaded at or near Unique velocities, is Power Pistol: As Clean, Cleaner, or Dirtier?

Thanks in advance,
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links