Weight of powder dipped by volume vs. published min-max charge data - Page 2

Weight of powder dipped by volume vs. published min-max charge data

This is a discussion on Weight of powder dipped by volume vs. published min-max charge data within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; FWIW, dippers often scoop loads that are a little lighter than specified on the chart. This must be a "built-in" margin of safety by the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Weight of powder dipped by volume vs. published min-max charge data

FWIW, dippers often scoop loads that are a little lighter than specified on the chart. This must be a "built-in" margin of safety by the mfg. The same is true for the Lee auto disks. You have to weigh the powder throws from volumetric measures to know what you are really dumping in the case. For general range use, I wouldn't worry about a powder trickler, just find the dipper that is nearest to the charge you want to use--just stay under max.....
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

MJK
    If you dump a bunch of baseballs into a box you'll notice there's a lot of space left between the balls. Now shake the box and the balls tend to settle. Same concept applies with a dipper. What is happening here is that you increase the average density of the powder in the dipper by agitation. This results from the flakes/spheres/rods settling to increase the packing fraction.

Try tapping the dipper - the powder should settle leaving space for more.

Different powders will give different results depending on the particle's geometry.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I used to reload a long time ago and one reason I quit was I never could get a powder scale or a powder measure to give the same charge evey time. I still have primers and powder left over from the Clinton era. I would rather just trust factory loads and forget it.
    LOL sell them to me at Clinton-era prices, fellow Palmetto-stater!

jebus!...
    However, the weight of a level dipper of Power Pistol using a .5cc dipper is about 5.5gr
    buy a powder drop... the lee is like 20$...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links