New to reloading

New to reloading

This is a discussion on New to reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hello everyone! I am wanting to start reloading. I shoot a Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 S&W. What equipment would be the best for reloading ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: New to reloading

New Member Array lubbockglock23's Avatar

Post New to reloading

Hello everyone!

I am wanting to start reloading. I shoot a Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 S&W. What equipment would be the best for reloading that caliber?

Whatever you can get for the best price.

You can start out with a single stage press, which keeps things simple but slow, then step up to a progressive as your budget allows. Besides the press, you'll need dies (don't scrimp here), a powder scale, and at least one reloading manual (Lyman, Lee and Hornady are all good to start with). Then you add the small bits as you need 'em.

If you go with a single stage press, then a hand-held priming tool is a handy thing to have.

For scales, so far I'm unimpressed with the electronic digital ones, as they are very sensitive to breezes and tend to drift when they've been on for a while. A simple beam type with magnetic damping is reliable and won't break the bank. I use an RCBS 505.

Since you're loading a straight-wall pistol cartridge, a 3-die set with a carbide sizing die (most are these days) is what you need. RCBS is one of the top brands with Hornady, Dillon and Lee being the alternatives. Depending on your Glock's chamber, you may want to invest in a separate crimping die. I found it easier to go that way since I couldn't easily achieve the crimp I needed with the bullet seating depth I wanted, but lots of folks get by without.

If you decide on a progressive press, big blue (Dillon) is clearly the most popular, but I'm very happy with my Hornady, which offers auto-indexing and a 5th stage for about the same price as the Dillon 550. Just understand that a progressive press adds complexity, and if you're not careful (especially in your learning period) you can crank out a lot of bad rounds really fast.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsor
    If you have the money to spare, go Dillon and don't look back. If you're like me, look at Lee.

A progressive 5 station press with dies for under $250.00

I run their Pro 1000 for my 9mm and .45

I use their 4 station turret for my .223

And their Breech Lock Challenger for my precision rifle loads.

I am considering upgrading to the Load Master for my pistol cartridges so I don't have to run a separate single stage for the factory crimp operation.

I just can't justify the expense of a Dillon or Hornady press when I reload pistol cartridges for economy.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockglock23 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am wanting to start reloading. I shoot a Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 S&W. What equipment would be the best for reloading that caliber?
    Aftermarket barrel for sure since reloads through Glocks are not recommended.

Welcome to the forum!

New Member Array lubbockglock23's Avatar
    What aftermarket barrel would be the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Aftermarket barrel for sure since reloads through Glocks are not recommended.

Welcome to the forum!
    What? I've never heard this before, and I've shot a few thousand through my 26. The bullets were plated, FMJ but none of them were lead boolits

VIP Member
    Um... I guess you probably want to consider an aftermarket barrel if you want to shoot lead, although I've talked to plenty of folks that shoot lead out of the stock Glock barrel and have no issues. I don't shoot lead outta mine, so I can't really say...

Every manufacturer says don't shoot reloads and if you kaboom the pistol off a reload, an aftermarket barrel isn't going to do anything for you. If you are planning on shooting plated or jacketed, then the stock barrel is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    What? I've never heard this before, and I've shot a few thousand through my 26. The bullets were plated, FMJ but none of them were lead boolits
    Glocks and others with the polygonal rifling are more sensitive to leading with lead bullets. "More sensitive" means you can't ignore it, but it's not like the gun will blow up on the 27th lead bullet down the pipe. My local match partner shot moly-coated bullets for a year in his G35 for over a year before he decided to get a Lone Wolf barrel to reduce his cleaning requirements.

If you're shooting plated bullets you have no reason for concern.
    PIMking likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

lubbock, your best best would be to borrow, buy, or check out from the library the ABCs of Reloading and a reloading manual (if you buy, Lyman 49 is a decent price), then read them cover to cover. Once you have a good understanding of reloading, you will have more questions but your questions will be more focused and you will get more meaningful answers. Not to talk up another site, but one that deals with Glocks has some good "stickies" in their reloading section dealing with gear selection.

On to the other topic: shooting lead in Glocks. I used an aftermarket barrel for my G23 (Lonewolf) to shoot lead because I was concerned about the high pressure cartridge and the amount of case support; however, I don't know if I really needed to and many shoot lead through the factory barrel. On the other hand, I have 2 9mm Glocks (a gen 2 and 3) and shoot moly-coated lead bullets through them all of the time, and I have never had a leading issue. After the first 100 or so rounds of lead in both guns I pulled the barrels to make sure I couldn't see any build-up. Since then I haven't worried about it.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post

On to the other topic: shooting lead in Glocks. I used an aftermarket barrel for my G23 (Lonewolf) to shoot lead because I was concerned about the high pressure cartridge and the amount of case support; however, I don't know if I really needed to and many shoot lead through the factory barrel. On the other hand, I have 2 9mm Glocks (a gen 2 and 3) and shoot moly-coated lead bullets through them all of the time, and I have never had a leading issue. After the first 100 or so rounds of lead in both guns I pulled the barrels to make sure I couldn't see any build-up. Since then I haven't worried about it.
    When was big-time into IDPA I used Precision Bullets (the black "poly-coated" cast bullets and shot them in a variety of Glocks with zero issues. If you decide to reload with these particular bullets be advised that they mfr. does not recommend using a Lee Factory Crimp die as it will crush the bullet. Use a regular taper crimp die instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockglock23 View Post
    What aftermarket barrel would be the best?
    I used an Olympic Arms barrel to replace the factory barrel in my G21. No issues at all. Golden.

Sponsored Links