Reloading 9mm ammo on the cheap (3 part video series)

This is a discussion on Reloading 9mm ammo on the cheap (3 part video series) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; From ZombieSurvival Show. (NOTE: these are not my videos) I use the $25 Lee Reloader it is more than adequate for 9mm (and .40 S&W ...

From ZombieSurvival Show. (NOTE: these are not my videos)

I use the $25 Lee Reloader it is more than adequate for 9mm (and .40 S&W and .45ACP). If you upgrade to another press you can use it for decapping or some other task.

Part 1:

Reloading 9mm Luger Ammo on the Cheap! Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2:

Reloading 9mm Luger Ammo on the Cheap! Part 2 - YouTube

Part 3:

Reloading 9mm Luger Ammo on the Cheap! Part 3 - YouTube
    Last edited by ThePontificator; September 2nd, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

thanks for the videos and good info, i have been thinking about getting into reloading practice ammo and didnt have a clue how it worked until i watched your videos. also not bad price either for getting into the reloading scene
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

The videos are someone else's but the sentiment's appreciated.

I don't subscribe to all the methods shown (handling primers with gloves is anal retentive, IMO just wash your hands before and after). No way I'd trickle-measure every powder charge that'd take all dang day.

A level, settled .5cc dipper of Alliant Bullseys (comes with the Lee die set) is the perfect charge for a 115gr FMJ in my Glocks and the Steyrs I used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePontificator View Post
    A level, settled .5cc dipper of Alliant Bullseys (comes with the Lee die set) is the perfect charge for a 115gr FMJ in my Glocks and the Steyrs I used to own.
    Please do not make general statements such as these where reloading is concerned. Using that dipper without being specific to the propellent, could get someone in trouble. Consulting some source for data is required for any reloading of ammo. It sounds like you have not been at this long from this and some of your other posts, Please be more careful/specific with your postings.

Not trying to be nasty, but safety is required here.

Terry

Sorry, guess you fixed it before I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    Please do not make general statements such as these where reloading is concerned. Using that dipper without being specific to the propellent, could get someone in trouble. Consulting some source for data is required for any reloading of ammo. It sounds like you have not been at this long from this and some of your other posts, Please be more careful/specific with your postings.

Not trying to be nasty, but safety is required here.

Terry

Sorry, guess you fixed it before I posted.
    I have been reloading for 15 years.

The data I use for my dipped 9mm 115gr FMJ loads may be found on page 532 of "Modern Reloading" (Richard Lee, 2nd Ed.)

The point about using a dipper was discussed in your other thread.

Using a volume measurement is normal, however, it should be checked against a scale to verify its mass. Different lots of powder, or even daily atmospheric changes can change the volume vs. mass of even a small charge of propellant. This is compounded by the variances of the method/person/etc. operating the volume measuring device.
    It is important that when you go to load one or a large volume of cartridges, that one checks the "weight" of the measured volume, whether it be thrown by a powder measure or dipped. Measuring more than one during a session is insurance that you are "throwing" consistent charges with the device you are using.

I apologize if I came across in a bad manner, but it seemed as though the propellent type was not in your post when I first read it. It also seems from reading some of your other posts that you were offered the same advice I outlined above, but are still telling others to use the Lee dipper, without adding the requirement of checking the weight, at least at the start. From that I Assumed you were a new loader. Sorry about that, you know the deal with assumptions.

Back to the Posts intent.

Yes you can load on the cheap using the Lee dipper, many have used it for decades. But you should still weigh the volume at least once to check what you are really loading.

Terry

To be more clear,
    Loading on the cheap or not, a scale should be considered minimal equipment, and used regularly.
    Last edited by Exsimguy1; September 3rd, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Clarity

Links