What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

This is a discussion on What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I went to using a shaving brush years ago with good shaving soap. I upgraded to a silvertip brush, pricey but it wil last years. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I went to using a shaving brush years ago with good shaving soap. I upgraded to a silvertip brush, pricey but it wil last years. Once you use a brush and soap (CO Biglow), you will not go back to canned shaving cream ever again. The best shave you will ever have.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=fastk9dad;2398878]I sense a shaving and guns photo thread coming up... lol

I accept your challenge. Nothing but stainless allowed in the bathroom.Stainless.jpg
    BamaT and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If one doesn't descend into making the acquisition of shaving gear a hobby then he can shave more inexpensively than the cartridge/can routine can provide, and gain a better shave while doing it. The mug and brush yields better lather than the can. One can still buy Williams shaving soap for anywhere from 98 cents to 1.95, depending on where you find it. Shave snobs poo-poo Williams but it's the original shaving soap, predating the Civil War, and works great. Sky's the limit on what may be spent on shaving soaps and creams found in both tubes and tubs but some really good stuff is out there.

I played with a host of blade brands that were given me by my son and settled on Feather as the best overall. They're one of the more expensive blades but I ordered 200 of them for $62. That's a 2-year supply, using one per week which is realistic. Same money would not quite buy me 4 months worth of Gillette Fusion cartridges which is what I was using. The Fusions pull so much more in use than the sharp Feathers do.

Since acquiring all those Feather blades I've about decided that a couple of inexpensive brands do really well, Astra, and Sharp. These are found for anywhere from about $9 per hundred to $15 per hundred. Those Feathers are very comfortable but sneaky and will give the odd weeper and one will never feel a thing.
    Well, you've really started something here! I dug out my old brush, and it was pretty sad looking, but it really wasn't very good even when new. It always felt like a cheap worn out paint brush on my face. I found a VDH brush, bowl, and soap beginner's kit at Wallyworld for about $8.50. It's a boar bristle brush. I know everyone recommends a badger, but honestly this brush feels soft enough and lathers pretty well, much better than my old one. I can definitely see a good mid-grade badger brush in my future along with a DE razor, but for someone to get started, or to start back with a brush and soap, this little VDH kit is pretty good.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    Well, you've really started something here! I dug out my old brush, and it was pretty sad looking, but it really wasn't very good even when new. It always felt like a cheap worn out paint brush on my face. I found a VDH brush, bowl, and soap beginner's kit at Wallyworld for about $8.50. It's a boar bristle brush. I know everyone recommends a badger, but honestly this brush feels soft enough and lathers pretty well, much better than my old one. I can definitely see a good mid-grade badger brush in my future along with a DE razor, but for someone to get started, or to start back with a brush and soap, this little VDH kit is pretty good.
    That brush is pretty crappy, but there is nothing wrong with the vdh soap, it's pretty good, especially for the price.

I just like my Mitchell's Wool Fat and Cella too much to use anything else.

If you like boar, the Omega brand is cheap and much higher quality than the vdh. The only thing about boar is they require several uses to be really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Lead Moderator
    CFC0F8D3-6931-4BA0-8B55-E79EA40FDD4D-406-0000002B439097CF.jpg

I recently got this , a Gillette 1967 Slim adjustable. It sure beats using disposables. this razor was my grandfathers I believe.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I shave every other day (and always on Sunday) with my Grandfathers Gillette adjustable Fatboy 1963 (if I can remember correctly) with a Tweezerman boar bristle brush and Proraso shaving soap. I get a great shave and to have a personal connection to me Grandpa
    rocky likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'll play. Here's a couple of gem single edge models (demaskeen and micromatic), an E4 fatboy, a merkur slant, and a merkur open comb. The slant gets 99% of my shaving duty.

sent via iCarry

kn
    Attached Images

My control of English is ok, but not perfect. What on earth is this thread about?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    CFC0F8D3-6931-4BA0-8B55-E79EA40FDD4D-406-0000002B439097CF.jpg

I recently got this , a Gillette 1967 Slim adjustable. It sure beats using disposables. this razor was my grandfathers I believe.
    How aggressive is the top setting?

VIP Member
    Ya'll have a lot of info here on shaving. I remember going off to college I brought a cheap double-edged razor, a mug soap and brush. I liked the smell and the idea of emulating my elder male generations. One time I was home from college, and typical student I forgot my shaving gear and needed to shave while home. I marched in my Dad's bathroom, grabbed his stuff and started to shave my young face with his "2 pound man razor". The dial was set on whatever number that means "donor skin setting" !!! YEOOOWWWW.

I'm lucky to have a job now that has no "dress-code", so I shave whenever I want to. I know this is blasphemy but I now use canned shaving cream, throwaway razors and a mirror hanging in the shower. No bumps, no nicks, no complaints from my wife.

Interesting thread, great memories, and I still like the smell of that mug soap.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I travel for a living and most of the times I have to carry on my overnight bag. So, I don't get to use my DE razor at least twice a week and have to rely on the caveman 9-razor blade having modern disposables. Do I get a close shave? Yeah, but still not as close. Do I get to press down as hard as I want? Sure.
    But, in the end, I also get razor burn. I can't go back to the disposables full time and certainly can't go back to foam soap. Although, gun to my head (pun), I think the shaving brush is what really makes the most difference. Simply agitating your whiskers makes them stand up and are easier to cut. So, I always have my little travel brush and use a hotel coffee mug.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    How aggressive is the top setting?
    I would imagine fairly . I have only used it up to #5 so far . I haven't needed it more aggressive.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links