What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

This is a discussion on What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My son and I "rehabilitated" three old EverReady shaving brushes one evening while we were up to visit last weekend. We had some old hollow, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

My son and I "rehabilitated" three old EverReady shaving brushes one evening while we were up to visit last weekend.

We had some old hollow, molded plastic, EverReady brush handles we intended to fit with various grades of badger hair knots, from "best" to "finest silvertip." We made one each for my eldest son and me and an additional for our youngest son to try out when he comes in from Afghanistan next month at the close of a Marine deployment. These handles had already been prepared by cutting and drilling out the old boar's hair brush. We thought to attempt to add stability and a more balanced, luxurious feel to the brushes by weighting the bottoms. That way they would be more stable when they were standing.

I had some boxes of left over bullets hanging around on the bench. Just dibs and dabs, either from where a box was overfilled or else from some reloading project. We played with a 110 grain .357 diameter jacketed hollow point, a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter, a 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter, and a gargantuan 525 grain cast lead .45-70 bullet.

The jacketed bullets were finally ruled out as it was assumed that any moisture admitted might cause verdigris which could leach into the plastic, discoloring it. So, for the twin short squatty handles we hot glued a 158 grain SWC apiece into their bases. We tried filling one up with a mixture of hot glue and some aquarium gravel but despite liberal application of glue we had a rattly rock. For the taller EverReady handle we affixed the big .45-70 slug into its base with hot glue and filled it up. A dime, used to form a base for the knot, was seated on top of the fill of each brush when it was determined that we'd achieved the correct level. Then Marine epoxy was substituted for the hot glue and the knots were seated. Enough epoxy was applied to the insides of the holes to act as a seal, the knots themselves having been ordered to be of a diameter to give a proper tight fit.

After allowing a cure of 24 hours my eldest son and I shaved using our new brushes which both had a pleasing heft and balance to them and whipped up and held lots of lather compared with the boar brush I've used. The brushes, when wet gave off the unmistakable "fragrance" of ... a wet badger! It's said that after a few uses this odor leaves or one can subject his brush to lengthy soakings and washes. I'm not going to bother as there's no need to subject the brush to unnecessary wear. We didn't use the taller brush with the .45-70 bullet in its base but the bullet choice was unquestionably appropriate to give the brush a pleasing heft and balance.

The finished brushes. The two short brushes are EverReady Model C40s and the tall one in the center is an unnumbered EverReady model. The shorty handles feature bulb-shaped brushes and the tall handle has a fan-shaped brush.

Razors, left to right: All classic Gillette models, a 1934 Aristocrat, a 1959 Model 195 Adjustable "Fatboy", and a 1920 New Improved.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice project brings back memories of my Grandfather. He still used a brush, mug and double-edged razor until he passed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Nice, unfortuantly I just use a cheap Tweezerman brush, I never thought about reconditioning a wornout used one before. I might have to give it a try.

Any suggestions on how to refinish a razor? I've got a Gillette Adjustable fatboy that I shave with and it is showing its age
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Ok, I'll just say this you take shaving way more seriously than I do. So did you just add the bullets for weight or for decoration also? Very nice project.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That's pretty cool. I use the little plastic razors, but have wanted to get a real man's razor after reading "The Art of Manliness".
    pgrass101 and BigJon10125 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Excellent!

Very nice. I like the idea. That Fatboy is some goodlooking steel. I use a Merkur Futur and Dovo silver tip personally. Looking at that big photo it looks like you've got a Dovo big boy in the pic. If that's reconditioned, you did a good job-- that thing looks brand new.
    I think a lot of the members on this board would actually enjoy getting into wet shaving. For some reason, goes hand-in-hand with what this board is all about.
    For those of you that might be interested in finding out why your grandfather always got a better and more comfortable shave than you will with that 99 bladed monstrosity, a great website to check out is Badger & Blade - Home
    I got a lot of my shaving info from them and have bought products as well. Once you go to a safety razor, you'll never look back.

Now that puts a new spin on "reloading."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice! It's been a long time since I've had warm soap applied with a soft brush. Great gift for a returning warrior.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I wish i had that much spare time.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Those look good! I like the tall one, I think it would look good sitting next to my Simpson Berkeley and Ever-Ready 1912 SE Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member
    There is nothing like a shave with a brush, mug of lather and a safety razor. Besides being a nice shave it's very relaxing, sadly I don't do it as often as I'd like.
    phreddy and Rock and Glock like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

If I had a shaving brush, and if I were to put a bullet in the handle, it would be a 200g .38. :-)

Cool idea! Very imaginative. I have to admit, these are two hobbies I wouldn't have thought of combining.

I only again took double-edge razors last November the week before Thanksgiving after a 30-something year hiatus. My eldest son had been after me for a couple of years to try it. I hate shaving anyway and also didn't like the cost of Fusion cartridges. So, I broke out a Gillette ball-end Tech from the late 1940s that had been my wife's grandfather's razor and a boar brush my wife had given me years before along with a pot of shaving cream and tried it with good success.

Previously, I'd gleefully chunked the Fatboy into the back of the bathroom drawer never to be seen again when I adopted the Gillette Trac II in the late 1970s. I'd been given that Gillette adjustable, which no one called a "Fatboy" back then, by my dad when he told me to shave the peach fuzz off in the late 1960s. He'd gone to a Norelco electric razor some years before. I was instructed to make a lather on my face with Safeguard soap and go to it. The adjustable dial meant nothing to me so I set it on "6" because I liked that numeral. With the thin runny lather and the aggressive setting, shaving wasn't a howling success but as Bill Cosby says, it was a self-sacrifice. The acquisition of canned shaving cream really didn't improve things but I grimly lived with it until first trying Trac II after it'd already been on the market for a few years.

Anyway, I still loathe shaving but using the older razors to good effect is satisfying and easier on the face. One can gain a closer shave than most any other system with a little care. Apparently there are better shaving products and blades available now than there were years ago.

"Any suggestions on how to refinish a razor? I've got a Gillette Adjustable fatboy that I shave with and it is showing its age."

Don't really know as I've not had a razor that required replating but this fellow is suppose to do a lot of American double-edge razor fans' restorations, is suppose to be reasonable, and very dependable. If I found a really uncommon razor model that needed restoration I'd like to try him just for the fun of it.
    My history of restoring and replating vintage razorsRazor Restoration and Replating – RestoredRazors.com
    pgrass101 and Rock and Glock like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links