Sorting Range Brass

This is a discussion on Sorting Range Brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well I been reloading for awhile,and at the local membership range it always seems like me and my shooting buddy are about the only reloaders.So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sorting Range Brass

Sorting Range Brass

Well I been reloading for awhile,and at the local membership range it always seems like me and my shooting buddy are about the only reloaders.So after sweeping up brass over the last couple of months I decided it was time to start sorting it with a set of 3 different size sorters that sort 45 acp,40 s&w,and 9mm anything else that fits those 3 hole sizes require additional hand sorting,well after 4 hours of sorting and about 20 gallons of brass I'm about 1/2 way thru,If I never reloaded another round of brass except what I have stored and am currently sorting to reuse I will have enough until I'm either dead or too disabled to pull the trigger.
    But for some reason I will always pick up unwanted brass,some day when I pass and my Daughter auctions off my reloading stuff,I'm pretty sure when they see all the 5 gallon buckets of sorted brass somebody will say holy smokes thats a lot of brass
    Last edited by gasmitty; September 26th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: language workaround
    BamaT likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

We are not allowed to pick up the brass at our range. The range sweeps it up and sells it to a recycling facility. Maybe with the extra brass or unusable brass, you can sell it to make a little additional $.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    We are not allowed to pick up the brass at our range. The range sweeps it up and sells it to a recycling facility. Maybe with the extra brass or unusable brass, you can sell it to make a little additional $.
    What about your own brass??

Scrap yellow brass looks to be about $1.67 a pound as of a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    What about your own brass??
    I have a 9mm so I let those fly wearever, but in my marlin 30/30, I don't have to pick them up, I just collect the empties as i cycle the lever. Not sure if you can pick up your own or not.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I think picking up brass is just some kind of disease that the CDC should be looking into. I have a hard time not picking up everything around me, and it isn't because I need more than I already have. Good luck breaking the habit, dukalmighty, even if you have more than you can ever use....
    TX expat likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless the range provides the ammo (and I haven't seen one yet), the cases belong to whomever paid for them. No range is going to tell me I can't keep what I paid for! Not even those that allow only ammo purchased there. Any range that depends on scrap brass to make ends meet needs to be up front and raise the fees.

I generally ask the folks in the lanes next to me if I can have their cases, and the answer is almost always yes--the exception being those who reload their own. Brass I don't reload that gets sweep up in the collection is generously donated to the range on the next trip.
    darbo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I haven't started reloading yet but I do pick up brass to prepare for the day that I do start to reload.

But, I've also developed more of an interest in revolvers than my semi-autos for many reasons but one of them being that I don't have to stoop over to pick up my brass.

I even save the 22lr brass casings from my SP101 that even though I can't reload I can sell for scrap someday. I paid for it, it's mine to do with as I please.
    GH likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You have to be careful about picking up range brass with which you don't know the history. You have no way of knowing how many times they have been loaded before. I segregate brass of unknown origin and load them to less than full power.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I rarely load full power loads. Just never saw the need except to impress someone. Even my rifle hunting loads are less than max. I've found them more accurate than more heavily loaded, and they've never failed to do the job. Careful inspection sorts out most worn brass.

Most reloaders (including those who load heavy) tend to police their own brass, so getting theirs usually don't happen.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For plinking I usually load around minimum powder charge,I only carry factory defensive ammo,before loading I inspect every case anything that looks sketchy gets tossed in the scrap bucket,almost all the brass is once fired since not too many people there are reloaders,so far I have about 20 gallons of 9/40/45 brass out of my jeep sorted and I can finally see some carpet,this could take awhile.
    At 1.67 pound for brass I got a buncha rifle brass and 22 cases I'll never use,time to clean out the gunk from the 22's and get some ka-ching
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Brass

ive just recently been going to the local nat. forest public range and there is no one that cleans that
    place so brass gets layers high rite next to and in front of the out door shooting roof . i love making trips and i try to get all i can including my own brass . never shot gun shells or 22's but brass scrap prices are lookin good so i may start getting the .22's also . and if anyone is looking for some reload worthy brass let me know , i can ship it ground . i am currently out of 45 acp but i still have some 38 special . and some 243 left , an lots an lots of .40 s&w mixed hs . but will be making another run soon!

Re: Sorting Range Brass

I don't reload or use public ranges (have my range on my property) but I do police all of my brass and any brass friends spit out while over on my property. They don't reload either. I have about 10 gallons of 5.56 so far and about the same in 357sig, 40, 45, and 9. That's mostly what's shot on my land.

I keep them for three reasons. 1) I don't want my property littered with brass 2) I plan on getting into reloading when I can afford to time wise 3) worst case, when I ha e enough I could always cash it in.

Edit: left out lots or 38 and 357mag.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

wow well thats alot more then what i have now . but tomorrow will be trading unfired shot gun shells (12 ga an 20 ga) 100rds worth for 3- 5 gallon buckets of range brass of all kinds rifle and handgun including a bunch of .45 long colt and odd ball calibers . so im about to stock up ! and ill sort em from good usable brass and also scrap brass , scrap prices are floating between $1.50- $1.90 lb. so ether way if i sell for reload , or scrap , cheep gauge shells for a ton of brass is going to be worth it .

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Its pretty common here at public ranges that they have rules preventing you from picking up your brass. Most say its a safety move. It prevents people from venturing out beyond the firing lines to get at that last piece. Most read something like "If it hits the ground its ours". The trap range said that it started with people stooping to pick up hulls and not paying attn to their muzzles. At a busy range Ill bet it also would slow things down if everyone was picking up there own. Thats why I wont shoot at busy indoor ranges. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links