My first attempt at reloading...is this normal 40 S&W

This is a discussion on My first attempt at reloading...is this normal 40 S&W within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My first attempt at reloading and I have a question that I can't seem to find in any forum search or reloading books so am ...

Thread: My first attempt at reloading...is this normal 40 S&W

My first attempt at reloading and I have a question that I can't seem to find in any forum search or reloading books so am hoping you guys can help me out. A little background, am loading 40 S&W using Lee Carbide dies on a cheap Lee single stage press and have run the brass through the Redding GRX die.

Now for the question, I ran the brass through the Redding GRX "glock budge" die and then re sized on the Lee die. After resizing I noticed each case near the web or primer pocket had a ring around it. I measured several casing and right at the web or primer pocket it measured .421-.422 but as you moved up towards the mouth it measured .417 on each case. Is this normal for the resizing die to shrink the casing like that and leave that budge around the primer pocket? It seems no matter how the die is adjusted I get the same result.

I come from an electrical engineering background and to me this just doesn't seem right that the resizing die would re size the case .004 smaller then spec. Any info would be great and thanks for the help...Eric

The brass on the left is after re sizing and hopefully the ring is visible, the brass on the right is after the GRX die and shows no ring and measures correctly.

From what I'm seeing they look fine,Not sure why your running them thru the first die,unless there is litterally what I call a Bubble Bulge at the base,on a friends Taurus 9mm the brass was getting ejected with a noticeable bubble bulge around the base,when resizing it would press it into a thin line,but was out of spec and the rounds would not go into battery,I now inspect every case before loading.I would load one and with your gun field stripped take the barrel and insert into the chamber,if it slides in and out without a glitch then load them up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I get some of my brass from buddies who shot Glocks and random range pickups. I tried testing the Glock brass in a case gauge and my empty barrel and the brass would not fit. I bought the Redding die and now the brass fits so that's why I run it through the Redding first. After going through the Redding die the "glock budge" is gone and the entire case measures .421-.422. Just seems odd the Lee re size die would neck down the brass minus that section around the primer pocket.

I re-checked the adjustment on the die to make sure it was getting contact at the highest point ran a few pieces and the same thing occurs.

Fully load a round and drop it into your barrel, if it fits, load a magazine full and see if they fit the mag and cycle through your weapon. If that works, go for it. I don't own a Glock so I'm unfamiliar with how they treat their brass. If there is a bulge at the base of the case (just above the web) it would seem to me that you have an unsupported barrel (the barrel does not support the entire case but leaves a small area just above the feed ramp, open). I am familiar with this problem in .38 supers (Taurus, Colt) and if the case is bulged out, I ditch that case as the brass has been weakened in that small area and who knows what will happen next time around. This may or may not be the problem you are having and all you Glock guys please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never had an issue with the bulge. It's there, but I don't worry about it as long as it chambers. It's the " smiles" on the case that you need to be concerned with. When they appear, get rid of it.

Also, I personally think the Redding bulge buster is unnecessary as long as it feed right.
    I think it is more probable to cause case failure by overworking than to just leave it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Lead Moderator
    To add, I have reloaded lots of Glock fired .40 cases and just use the standard die. No issues and several of the cases had a decent bulge from a gen 1 Glock before resizing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It doesn't look like an issue to me, although I don't reload for the .40. It isn't unusual for the resizing die to under size the case resulting in a wasp-waist shape to the brass.

Best thing to do is first, see if the resized case will fit easily in your empty chamber. If so, make up a couple of dummy rounds (no powder or primer) with the bullet of choice and cycle them through your gun. You'll need a couple of dummy rounds for future die adjustments. The dummy rounds should also drop into the barrel chamber with a soft clunk and the base should rest flush with the end of the barrel. Compare it with a commercial rounds. If the dummy rounds cycle fine, there's no issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First, SAAMI for the 40 case is 0.424, so you obviously don't have a bulge issue. Be sure your sizing die is set so the bottom of the die just touches the shell holder with the ram raised. After sizing, I use the GRx for cases that won't drop in the case gauge, although that probably isn't necessary since the sized cases invariably fit the chamber of my G23. Anyhow, sounds like you are ok, but I would suggest only using the GRx as necessary, after sizing.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Agree with FLSlim, a couple thousands under the SAAMI is fine. After resizing, especially with rifle cases, check the length and if that is also good, no problem.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Links