185 gr FMJ

This is a discussion on 185 gr FMJ within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a Lee FCD which I set pretty loose to save brass life. I'll try setting it a little tighter. Thanks, guys. Oh, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 185 gr FMJ

I have a Lee FCD which I set pretty loose to save brass life. I'll try setting it a little tighter.
    Thanks, guys.

Oh, and I went to Edison HS.

2. Remove Ads

I have a lot more trouble FINDING all of my .45 brass, than wearing it out. As long as the belling process doesn't get out of hand, .45 brass usually last multiples of dozens of loads. YMMV.

It just seems the Grass/Hay/gravel/concrete gremlins always find more of my brass than I do. I guess the homage must be paid in some form.
    Terry
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    I have a lot more trouble FINDING all of my .45 brass, than wearing it out. As long as the belling process doesn't get out of hand, .45 brass usually last multiples of dozens of loads. YMMV.

It just seems the Grass/Hay/gravel/concrete gremlins always find more of my brass than I do. I guess the homage must be paid in some form.
    Terry
    True dat, lol. I never count on leaving the range with the same amount of brass I started with. Sometimes I get lucky, but that is a fairly rare occasion. As for case mouth expansion, I agree, a little goes a long way. You only need to open it up enough so that the bullet will seat smoothly without hanging up on the mouth. If you open it up only very slightly, then it can be opened and crimped many times before it starts to weaken the brass at the mouth.

If the case mouth diameter is .475, you probably didn't remove enough of the flare from the case mouth after expansion (the crimp should be closer to 0.470). Run a plunk test with a dummy round to see if it wall fall freely into and out of the chamber of your pistol (barrel removed). The two most common causes of the problem you are having are insufficient crimp (ie, removal of the flare/bell) and too great of an OAL. Although, if your FMJs are round nose is seems unlikely that your round would be too long to chamber.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Heading to the range today to try some more out.
    Also loaded some 230 gr XTP's for the first time, which the data calls for an OAL of 1.23 which seems relatively long in my opinion. And, using Accurate #7 (9.5 gr), which I've never used before. From what I can tell, appears to be a pretty slow burning pistol powder.
    My Hornady reloading book should be coming in on Monday. I've spent over a month trying to find them. Guess Ed. 9 is coming out and they aren't making anymore Ed 8. The load data in there will probably be of greater help to me.
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

Not a fan of my 230 loads. Going to have to adjust. No issues with the 185 FMJ's taking some ideas you guys gave. Dropped the OAL to about 1.19 and they all fed just fine.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links