185 gr FMJ

185 gr FMJ

This is a discussion on 185 gr FMJ within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Guys, I handloaded for the first time these 185 FMJ's for my Gov't model Kimber in 45ACP. I used 5.1 gr of HP-38, and each ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 185 gr FMJ

185 gr FMJ

Guys,
    I handloaded for the first time these 185 FMJ's for my Gov't model Kimber in 45ACP.
    I used 5.1 gr of HP-38, and each of them had an AOL of 1.21 to 1.23. Width's were all around the .475 range.
    Even though I'm just beginning at handloading, I've loaded and shot almost 1,000 rnds and to date the worst thing I had happen was one stovepipe.
    Then I shot these. If I was lucky I would get three off before my slide would stop about 1/2" from going all the way forward. I'd have to use all my strength to get the slide back to eject the round. Even though I saw no physical damage to any of the rounds, 6 out of the 25 caused this. Actually, it may have been more, but I stopped after my 6th issue and just put them aside.
    Has anyone run into this issue before? I've been shooting 230 gr round lead; 185 gr XTP; 200 gr XTP; 185 gr LSWC with no issues.
    Could it be this bullet just doesn't go well with 1911's?

PS-- the 185 XTP is the sweetest round I've ever shot. FAR more accurate with it than any off the shelf ammo I've been wasting my money on. 185 GR FMF.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If I understand you correctly the slide is failing to chamber the loaded round. I would say that the problem is that bullet shape won't feed because the truncated cone's angle is too steep and short. A normal; 185 bullet has a hollow point so the angle would be less acute and the nose longer.

Are you removing the magazine when you clear the stoppage? It might make it easier as it would remove the upward pressure on the bottom of the slide.

Based solely on the given information I would say that bullet shape is your problem. The basic Gov. model is designed for hardball ammo and typically not tweaked to handle hollow point loads, but if yours is handling the 185 gr XTP then it should handle a similarly shaped truncated cone shape. I would compare the length and angle of the XTP's nose with the FMJ that is giving you problems.

Report back please.

By the way, what load data are you using?

I shoot them all the time in multiple 1911's of different makes. The only one that sometimes balks, is a Fusion, but that seems to be more due to a tight chamber, and not the bullet shape. Lee FCD fixes the problem, but hurts accuracy I believe. Kimbers can also have tight chambers, so you might wanna check out that.

Now, having said that, sometimes I've had to play around with the OAL to get that sweet spot where they feed well. But the 1911 should normally be able to feed those, as long as it's "Normal". Try it in some different brass, and play with the lengths. Don't get me wrong, you are playing on the edge with the 185's, as far as being able to feed, the 200's are better, but they can be made to feed well in most guns if you try enough.

Hoganbeg,
    Using data from Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (2nd Ed). This year's edition. I also cross ref. that with Lyman's newest as well.
    I did drop the mag each time-- only way I could get the slide to come back and that was after using some considerable elbow grease.
    The slide will go forward, but stops about 1/2" from going all the way forward. Like the diameter of the casing was too large right before you get to the rim. But, again, no physical damage to the casing once I ejected it.
    The Kimber chews through JHP's like butter and is more accurate (at least in my hands) than when I'm using hardball.
    Had a pretty seasoned reloader next to me at the range who looked at the bullet. He mentioned he had never tried that bell shaped FMJ, so wasn't able to help out much.
    Long story of it is that I'm done with that bullet.

You know, it was more like 1/4", not 1/2"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I would check the case outside diameter just in front of the case head to be sure it's within spec. I would also check that the rounds seat fully in the chamber. If they do, it could be that you are not getting full spring compression. Your load is about at minimum, I'd try a slightly hotter load before I gave up completely.

pscipio03,
    Are you seating them deep enough that nobearing surface is exposed in front of a good taper crimp?

I had a case of IMI ammo loaded with the 185 SWC like you have in your pic, they were the most accurate factory ammo I had ever shot. One ragged hole at 25yards if you did your part. I later duplicated the load with Hornady 185 SWC heads (many moons ago) with a load very similar to yours, maybe a touch hotter. It would feed in most any well working 1911, shouldn't be a problem in a Kimber, Unless, you have any bearing surface exposed in front of the brass.

Good luck,
    Terry

Found an IMI as described, see pics. Although a small amount in front of brass, it is rounded, and not bearing. Measures 1.160" OAL. Also a nice 0.470 diameter at case mouth (as it should be).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Exsimguy1; October 29th, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added pics as described

Ex,
    I was not seating them that deeply. Load manual called for OAL min of 1.20, I set mine at 1.21 and 1.24 ( half of each). I will try with a deeper set next time and run it at 5.3 to 5.5 gr.
    Thanks!

pscipio03,
    It's a light bullet, so 5.5 shouldn't be too hot, but that said, 5.1 should be enough, unless you are using a 20lb spring. The only reason I am mentioning that, is because with the deeper seating, your present charge will be slightly hotter.
    Other check points,
    Taper Crimp? Your 0.475" at mouth is a little large, Do they drop test in your barrel OK? Better yet, check with a Case Gauge.
    Shooting lead previously....Any buildup in chamber?
    Hoganbeg likes this.

I did shoot a bunch of lead before trying these out. Didn't even think about that.

Don't fear the FCD..............

Terry

As long as you don't fear the Woodland Hills Mall.

I don't think you want to go any shorter. In fact, a little longer may help. I seat my 185gr loads to an OAL of 1.164" and have never had any problems in my Kimber. I shoot really light loads for bullseye competition - 3.7 grains of Bullseye with the 185gr SWC, so your loads don't seem too light, unless you are using a heavy recoil spring. I would check your taper and adjust as needed, as has been recommended already.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    As long as you don't fear the Woodland Hills Mall.
    Sounds as if you have spent time in or around Tulsa.

Terry

OAL can certainly vary from manufacturer, BUT, any bearing surface ahead of brass leads to fail to reach battery position, as the bearing surface must engage the rifling.

The FCD I was referring to is the highly controversial Lee Factory Crimp Die.
    Last edited by Exsimguy1; October 30th, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added OAL info

I'll second the idea to check your loaded case diameter at the case mouth. Early on with my .45 ACP loads I didn't have enough crimp, and I had a lot of rounds fail to fully chamber. The seating and crimp adjustment was a pain with a single die so I just got the Lee factory crimp die and that solved that problem. I measured a couple lots of commercial ammo that worked well in my guns and the nominal diameter was 0.470", whereas my reloads were running 0.473 to 0.474. I set the FCD to achieve 0.468 t0 0.470 and everything has fed fine since then.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links