Best Progressive Reloading System?

This is a discussion on Best Progressive Reloading System? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by romansten9 HORNADY Lock N Load AP. I agree that Dillon USED to be the best and they made a great name for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Progressive Reloading System?

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    HORNADY Lock N Load AP.

I agree that Dillon USED to be the best and they made a great name for themselves. I have nothing against Dillon, but many people like Hornady better than Dillon. The Hornady is quite a bit LESS money by the time you get it set up. The quality is every bit as good, some say its even more solid. The Hornady has some nice, features, such as rotating 1/2 on the upstroke, 1/2 on the down, for smoother operation, less likely to spill/move cases. The Hornady allows cases to be easily removed during any point of the reloading operation. And there are other differences that make the Hornady a real nice choice. 100 free bullets is a bonus to a press that is already less expensive!

Dillon is a great brand name and a great product. But do you want to pay extra just to join the "Dillon club?"

You can prove its a "Dillon Club" just by reading comments of the Dillon owners, Its either Dillon or "go home" Dillon or "you can't fit in" "can't be in the club" "Go blue or nothing" "Dillon is the Cadillac of reloading" Don't let the number of "Dillon club" responses fool you either. Majority isn't always the best indication. Choose quality/value for YOURSELF, not by pressure to "join the club"

Well Hornady is every bit as good, and it seems like Hornady owners are more willing to be your friend no matter what press you own. Personally, I don't care if you want to pay more for a Dillon. They once were the best, but in today's world, there are more options out there. You decide if you want to pay more for the name.

(And of course, this post is going to make some Dillon owners angry, and they will disagree, but their anger only proves my point!!
    Actually it's 500 free bullets for the press and 100 free bullets for dies sets and other accessories. You have to pay shipping on the bullets but it's still a great deal. I got 800 bullets, of different calibers of my choosing, for $35+/-.
    Get Loaded 2012 - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

2. Remove Ads

Agreed with many here...been using Dillon 650 and nothing but good things to say about it.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I was torn between a Dillon 650 and a Hornady Lock-n-Load. I know the Dillon is an excellent press and I have an old Dillon SDB that still works well but the lack of Dillon distributors, fixed prices and the amount of expensive proprietary parts some Dillon products use, I am a little turned off.

After taking into account the lower initial price of the LnL (I found it for $385), the lower price and better availability of shell plates (~$30) and accessories, I chose the Lock-n-Load. Hornady also has a great reputation for customer service. I know Dillon has a great CS department as well.

You'll be happy either way.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Interested in reloading 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62
    Dillon Super 1050 without question. All those above cartridges are military cartridges and you'll benefit from the primer crimp swaging process on the press. I would rather buy commercial ammunition if I ever had to give up my 1050.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sponsor
    The only thing I could add and be constructive(I use a Lee Load Master, Challenger and Turret) is that in my personal experience I have had many more stuck cases(.223) in RCBS dies than in Lee full length dies. Still get the occasional stuck case no matter what lube I use, but with The Lee die you just drive out the depriming pin and re-assemble the die. Try that with an RCBS die.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Best Progressive Reloading System?

I've been using a hornady LNL progressive for a few months now with great success. There are trade offs for each make of press out there and you will find no shortage of comments about either the blue or red progressive systems.
    I have been loading 9mm xtp/fmj/tmj, and .380 lately with ease.

I bought the Dillon RL 550B. Couldn't quite justify the additional cost of the 650. But all of the above are right Dillon all the way!!

My father in law is giving me his Dillon 550B ( still new in box ) and I'm wondering is there a huge difference between the 550 and 650 ? I've never reloaded my own ammo so this may sound like a stupid question but any info from those who have used both would be awesome .

Lead Moderator
    The 550B is a manual rotating turret, while the 650 auto rotates. Also teh 560 has a few more features. The 550b is a nice press and great for a starter press with the ability to advance the speed of loading as you learn. My suggestion is start by loading one round completely at a time till you get comfortable with loading. This makes it much easier if you have a problem to stop and fix something without making a mistake due to multiple cartridges on the press. Once you are comfortable you can fill the press and reload as it was designed.
    Fast450 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks Rocky ! Ill take your advise .

I load on a lee pro 1000 right now. But my next press will be the big blue. Dillon all the way.

With that budget, you can afford a Dillon 105; but do you need it? How many rounds in one session will you be reloading, and how many rounds a month will you load?

If you want control over the process and don't mind less speed, then the 550 is fine. If you want more speed, slower caliber changes, and a bit less control, get the 650. My guess is that the 650 would be fine. You can easily get the press and complete cartridge conversions for all three calibers and still have money left for other goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast450 View Post
    My father in law is giving me his Dillon 550B ( still new in box ) and I'm wondering is there a huge difference between the 550 and 650 ? I've never reloaded my own ammo so this may sound like a stupid question but any info from those who have used both would be awesome .
    The difference between the two is speed, cost, cost of caliber conversions, and time needed to make a caliber change. The 550 is cheaper and faster to change calibers, gives the user more control over the load process, but is slower.

Since you are a reloading virgin, get a copy of Lyman #49 and read it. Use bulky powders that will overflow cases when you load double-charges, and go REAL SLOW. It is real easy to make multiple mistakes with progressive presses; a bit less so with the 550 semi-progressive press.

buy a dillon

This is a great resource. Someone else posted it on another thread. I am also considering the 550 or the Hornady.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links