Best Progressive Reloading System?

This is a discussion on Best Progressive Reloading System? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've reloaded previously on a lee turret press used as a single stage press. At the time I wasn't reloading for accuracy but for cost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Progressive Reloading System?

Sponsor

I've reloaded previously on a lee turret press used as a single stage press. At the time I wasn't reloading for accuracy but for cost savings. I've wanted to get back into reloading (its been about 3 years) but the biggest issue I have now is time. So, With a budget of $2000 what progressive press would you get?

Thanks,
    Clay

Sponsor
    Interested in reloading 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62

MJK
    Dillon 650...best reloading machine on the market!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

MJK is right. Go Big Blue. Not only is it the best, but their warranty and service are the industry standard.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Clay,

"Go blue, or go home!"

A little trite, but I really like my Dillon. One of the guys from Berry's Mfg used to work for Dillon. As I recall, he hangs out on the CZ-USA forum. I feel really bad that I have forgotten his name, but he can really give you some inside info on Dillon. If I was looking for another press, it would certainly be a Dillon 650.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Just curious, what's the motivation to get back into reloading? Savings? Time is money and if your pressed for time already reloading might not be the best option. I got cases of 9mm delivered for $220. I can go to work for 6 hours on a Saturday and bring home an extra $300. After all is said and done it just makes more sense for me to work the OT and buy factory loads as oppose to pressing in the garage all day.

As another hobby I would like to reload but just don't have the time now.

Dillon is the Cadillac of reloading presses, the 650 is a great machine. If you have the money you will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by _Dennis_ View Post
    Dillon is the Cadillac of reloading presses, the 650 is a great machine. If you have the money you will not be disappointed.
    Of course he has the money, he makes my holsters!
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Of course he has the money, he makes my holsters!
    Ha! Thanks for the great laugh! :)

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Just curious, what's the motivation to get back into reloading? Savings? Time is money and if your pressed for time already reloading might not be the best option. I got cases of 9mm delivered for $220. I can go to work for 6 hours on a Saturday and bring home an extra $300. After all is said and done it just makes more sense for me to work the OT and buy factory loads as oppose to pressing in the garage all day.

As another hobby I would like to reload but just don't have the time now.
    Good question! Money savings is a component of it, The other is ammunition flexibility, If I have brass and bullets, I can take the same power and primer and reload multiple calibers if I've got the dies. I like that flexibility especially given the volatility of the ammunition market.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Dillion 650.....Since your loading .223 and .308 I would give Ramshot TAC powder a try.......with the money left over buy your self a nice trimmer like a Gerard or a Gracey, This will greatly cut down on your case prep time. Also I would recommend Small base dies if your shooting .223 and .308 out of an Semi. I prefer RCBS or Lee, i haven't had very good luck with Dillion Rifle dies (their pistol dies are great) even when purchasing their expensive carbide dies. I purchased the $130 Carbide dies for both .223 and .308 and I can never get them tto size cases correctly. Purchased a RCBS Small base die for .223 and a Lee die for .308 solved the problem.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I second the motion for RCBS dies. Admittedly my first .30-06 die set was a used one (Redding, I think), but it was tough to adjust. I'm reloading for a Garand so I need the small-base set. Got a new RCBS die set, had some mouth sizing issues, but a phone call to RCBS got me squared away and some fresh parts in the mail promptly.

FWIW, your budget is pretty big, but if you're limited to a smaller investment, the Hornady progressive has features that beat the Dillon 550 for about the same money. Five stations and auto-indexing are the big ones - I couldn't be happier with mine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Dillon 650 and I second or third the RCBS small base 223 dies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

HORNADY Lock N Load AP.

I agree that Dillon USED to be the best and they made a great name for themselves. I have nothing against Dillon, but many people like Hornady better than Dillon. The Hornady is quite a bit LESS money by the time you get it set up. The quality is every bit as good, some say its even more solid. The Hornady has some nice, features, such as rotating 1/2 on the upstroke, 1/2 on the down, for smoother operation, less likely to spill/move cases. The Hornady allows cases to be easily removed during any point of the reloading operation. And there are other differences that make the Hornady a real nice choice. 100 free bullets is a bonus to a press that is already less expensive!

Dillon is a great brand name and a great product. But do you want to pay extra just to join the "Dillon club?"

You can prove its a "Dillon Club" just by reading comments of the Dillon owners, Its either Dillon or "go home" Dillon or "you can't fit in" "can't be in the club" "Go blue or nothing" "Dillon is the Cadillac of reloading" Don't let the number of "Dillon club" responses fool you either. Majority isn't always the best indication. Choose quality/value for YOURSELF, not by pressure to "join the club"

Well Hornady is every bit as good, and it seems like Hornady owners are more willing to be your friend no matter what press you own. Personally, I don't care if you want to pay more for a Dillon. They once were the best, but in today's world, there are more options out there. You decide if you want to pay more for the name.

(And of course, this post is going to make some Dillon owners angry, and they will disagree, but their anger only proves my point!!
    Last edited by romansten9; November 10th, 2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo

After loading on a Dillon 550 and doing extensive research I bought the Hornady LNL-AP and can't be happier.
    To each their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links