Chronographs-Experiences or Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Chronographs-Experiences or Suggestions? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, I have been doing a little bit of my own research trying to find out what would be a good dependable chron to ...

Thread: Chronographs-Experiences or Suggestions?

Chronographs-Experiences or Suggestions?

Hey guys, I have been doing a little bit of my own research trying to find out what would be a good dependable chron to buy. It doesn't have to be a $200 or $300 dollar one, (in fact it probably won't be unless cheaper is garbage) but as I've been checking them out and reading reviews and such, I've noticed that there are quite a bit of negative reviews to positive reviews. I know that you get what you pay for but could there be one out there that is between $100 and $140 or so that is reliable?

I've been reloading for quite a while off and on and I don't know why I haven't invested in a chronograph yet but it is what it is I guess. I'd like to pick the brains of my fellow DC peers that have any suggestions or maybe tell me what to stay away from.

I would prefer to have one with a remote display but it's not a deal breaker as long as it's reliable and consistent. Some of the comments seem to include a lot of Err displays shooting at different times of the day or with specific projectiles. Anyway, I will continue my search and make a decision relying more heavily on the information that you guys give me than the online reviews. What have you had good luck with?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

I've had a simple Oehler Model 12 chronograph. Bought it in 1979 for $99. Best money I ever spent. Has no frills but gives good results. Fun and informative, it is. I love knowing velocity and load consistency.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I too, would be interested in some information about decent chronos. I have always had problems with chronos. Usually becasue it's too bright, or too dark, or the printer fails, or sometimes I shoot them.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have a simple Shooting Chrony" bought years ago for $100.

Nothing fancy, but works great.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono that I got from Midway in April 2011 for $97. They are now $120. I also got the $50 electronic package that allows me to hook it up to my computer and run it remotely (at the length of a cable). Looks kind of geeky to have the laptop and chrono hooked up at the range, but I like it. The chrono works fine and the read out can be read from the shooting bench, so if you don't want to spend the extra $50, you can get along just fine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Some of the comments seem to include a lot of Err displays shooting at different times of the day or with specific projectiles.
    Those are user errors.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    What have you had good luck with?
    Shooting Crony; about $100.
    I'm sure any name brand chronograph will aid you in load development/assessment.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure it's another one of those things that they don't make 'em like they used to. Those Oehlers are pricey but they're probably great though. I'll keep the suggestions in mind and may look for a good used one over the next couple of days, or new, go for something like that ProChrono. May look geeky but see if I care. I like how you can use a laptop for the display screen and data collection. Thanks again.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I have a normal/cheap Shooting Chrony (I think...) one. I think they're on sale at MidwayUSA for $75 or so - I don't remember what I paid for mine. But then after I got it, I needed to shoot indoors, so I got the indoor light attachment thing for it with the bulbs and stuff - so I have more into it than you'd need if you were shooting outdoors.

Austin

Links