Small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers

This is a discussion on Small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; With the current shortage of small pistol primers, I am thinking of using small rifle primers in handloaded pistol rounds (9mm and 357 mag). Iíve ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By usmcj

Thread: Small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers

With the current shortage of small pistol primers, I am thinking of using small rifle primers in handloaded pistol rounds (9mm and 357 mag).
    Iíve read some accounts of folks using the small rifle primers in place of the pistol primers with good success.
    I would start at the bottom end of the load data and work up, using a chrono to measure loads/speed.
    Do any of my DC friends have any experience with this?

Any powder/primer combos? Iíve been using Hodgon Universal powder.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

It's been my experience that physically, small pistol and small rifle primers are the same size. The important difference is that the rifle primer uses a thicker cup to withstand the normally higher pressures seen in rifle cartridges. Some pistols may not always detonate the rifle primers. Stay with rifle primers for rifles.
    Wolf357, msgt/ret and jem102 like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It may lead to misfires with lighter striking guns, and I wouldn't use them on heavy loads without working up to it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Small rifle primers are the only thing I use in my 9MM loads and the only problems I have had is with Wolf.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I would recommend using the primer stated in the reloading manual.

Shortage of Small pistol primers?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC Here are some CCI Primers available at Wideners.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I would recommend using the primer stated in the reloading manual.

Shortage of Small pistol primers?

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC Here are some CCI Primers available at Wideners.
    The primers available at Wideners are packaged in a APS strip for a specific type of reloader. For my reloader, that would take additional handling time, AND they are $6 /1000 more expensive than the small rifle primers.

So, Yes, there is a shortage of small pistol primers.

When Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse, Midway and multiple other online suppliers are out of stock - there is a shortage.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Gotcha....missed that about the strips. I guess I don't notice these things because I try and keep a ready stock of them, plus every time I go to a shop and hey have them i pick up a 1000.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You will get about 10% misfires. The rifle primers are harder.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    Not true. I have shot thousands of small rifle primers out of my Glocks and never had a miss fire until I used Wolf.

Shortage of primers? I just picked up 13K of various sizes at the recent gun show in Phoenix (the Miwall table, as always). Since I've been reloading, that's the only place I've bought primers, and they're usually cheaper than the places you mentioned.

Also, a guy who shoots at Rio Salado always has primers available, same price as at the shows (typically $28/K). If you're in the East Valley, pm me and I'll try to find his number for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Shortage of primers? I just picked up 13K of various sizes at the recent gun show in Phoenix (the Miwall table, as always). Since I've been reloading, that's the only place I've bought primers, and they're usually cheaper than the places you mentioned.

Also, a guy who shoots at Rio Salado always has primers available, same price as at the shows (typically $28/K). If you're in the East Valley, pm me and I'll try to find his number for you.
    Gasmitty; if you contact still has some small handgun primer, I'd appreciate his number so I could order some. Thanks, Lance

I've always used small pistol in 9mm but over the last few years have stockpiled 10K small rifle after reading of everyone's success with them in 9mm. If the harder cup is the only issue it should be fine as my gun has second strike capability.... just keep pull'n till ya hear a boom. :)

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I too will say I've never had an issue with them going bang either. What I will give as advice is the SRP has a little bit hotter priming compound than the SPP. The CUP on the SRP will be a little thicker but shouldn't be a problem with most pistols. Dimensionally they are the same, I'd suggest picking up a hundred and loading up some mild loads working up to a load you are comfortable with. I'd see how your pistol in particular likes ammo loaded with SRPs.

Regards,

JEAM

I just picked up 13K of various sizes at the recent gun show in Phoenix (the Miwall table, as always). Since I've been reloading, that's the only place I've bought primers, and they're usually cheaper than the places you mentioned.
    WOW! It's VERY rare for a vendor to sell ANY primers at one of our local gunshows, even before all the craziness hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    WOW! It's VERY rare for a vendor to sell ANY primers at one of our local gunshows, even before all the craziness hit.
    I usually only buy primers at a gun show, that way when they roll the hazmat fee into the price, I don't notice it as much.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links