This is a discussion on "Renewbie" questions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi All,
I used to reload a good bit 30+ years ago, but haven't done any in years, and most of my equipment was ruined ...
December 15th, 2012 06:03 PM
I used to reload a good bit 30+ years ago, but haven't done any in years, and most of my equipment was ruined in a hurricane a few years back...
For some reason , I decided that now might be a good time to get back into it. I've got a new press on the way, but don't have any reloading data yet, until my new book gets here. I'm hoping that someone can provide a little insight in the meantime. I have a couple questions you might be able to help me with:
1) Does a .223/5.56 typically take a regular, or magnum, small rifle primer?
2) Is there a good all-around powder you can suggest that I can use for both 5.56 and .308/7.62x51 as well as one or more of my handgun calibers (.38/.357, 9mm, .44 Mag, .45ACP). I'd also like to include .30-30 in the mix if I can.
I know that I must ultimately base my choices on good reloading data, but since my book's not here yet, I'm curious if there is a good general purpose powder that I could use for all (or most) of these. IIRC, I was using IMR4227 for both 5.56 and .357 Mag back in the day, but I could be mistaken. I'm feeling compelled to go ahead & get some stuff on order, so any good advice would be appreciated.
3) I know that .38 Special dies will work fine for .357, and .44 Special dies work for .44 Mag. Will .380 dies similarly work for 9mm (9x19)?
Thanks in advance!
December 15th, 2012 08:53 PM
1. Small rifle regular
2. Not sure on the 5.56/308 but for .38, 9MM, 45ACP I have had good luck with Unique. For .357 and 44Mag I prefer 2400.
3. No, 9MM is larger in diameter and a tapered case.
When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
December 16th, 2012 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by msgt/ret
Thanks for the post!
Guess I may go ahead & try to order a few thou small rifle primers!
I figured Unique would be a good general-purpose powder for handguns, but I'm hoping to find something that will work well for the rifles as well. May not be feasible!
I learn something new just about every day! Been shooting almost 40 years, and I always though .380 and 9x19 cases were identical except for length. I reloaded some .380's back in the day, but never any 9's. Thanks for the clarification!
Search tags for this page
5.56 reloading data
Click on a term to search for related topics.