What to pick up at a gun show?

This is a discussion on What to pick up at a gun show? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am new to reloading, as in I have never done it. I got a progressive press, Hornady Lock n Load AP, and will begin ...

Thread: What to pick up at a gun show?

What to pick up at a gun show?

I am new to reloading, as in I have never done it. I got a progressive press, Hornady Lock n Load AP, and will begin with loading .45 acp. I have dies and shell plate on the way. More importantly I have Lyman's manual, #49 I believe, and Hornadys as well. Got the Hornady one as it was said to specifically list info for Hornady bullets, it was inexpensive and the press came with a rebate for 500 "free" bullets.

There is a gun show this coming weekend in my area. I am hoping the manuals come in the next day or two and I can read them completely but I am looking for suggestions as to what I should look for at the gun show, as it pertains to reloading. Components are my main concern for a variety of reasons. Have (most) of what I need as in equipment. Ammo is getting expensive, hence the desire to handload. It also excites me to be more involved in the entire process and I appreciate the understanding I am hoping to get from it.

Found out shipping powder and even primers needs a $27.50 haz mat shipping fee. I think that the things I am most interested in are brass and powder/primers. Not even sure if they can be sold at gun shows as I have never looked. What powder should I look for as is most commonly mentioned/used in YOUR reloading? If powder and primers are not allowed at gun shows I may swing by some LGSs on my way home to see what is available from them ,but again as I have never looked, I have never seen who has and doesn't carry it.

Appreciate it!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

I use Unique Powder for .45ACP and Federal or Winchester Primers to ignite it. Unique powder works for me in 9MM, 40S&W, and .45ACP. There are manuals that are sold at Gun Shows that have Single Caliber loadings in one book with many options as to primers and powder. The last thing you want to do is buy reloads from a gun show. Get it locally and you do not have a Hazmat fee. I always buy my primers and gun powder from my local gun store. Good Luck.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I think primers are your best bet at the gun show. Here in Phoenix, Miwall always has big booths and the primers typically run $28-29 per thousand for Winchester - and those have worked fine for my .45, .38 and .30-06 loads for almost 2 years now. I don't think smokeless powder requires HazMat shipping, so that's why I'd lean toward primers. Sportsmans Warehouse has good prices on powder, and even Cabela's isn't outrageous.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks BT. I wont be buying reloads, but am looking at powder primers and brass. Smitty, I will look into Cabellas. My main issue is not having the manuals yet. I am impatient and am skimming for a shortcut. It will be the only one I take with reloading, but gun shows are hit or miss here.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Powder companies have web sites and you can down load and print out thats how I put my manuals togather

Thanks Shadowalker, was not aware of that. I'll look into that as well. I have been leery of internet based sites, but haven't looked at specific company pages.
    BigJon

It is feeling a bit overwhelming I admit. Exciting, but it is a lot, and I know no close repoaders to help/save me!
    BigJon

Well I went to the gun show Saturday. I waited in line, before it opened, with around 500 people. I bought my ticket and then attempted to find the end of the line of what must have been 2000+ people. I did not even get in line as I had an engagement a few hours later. It was insane. Never seen it like that. First folks coming out had hand trucks full of cans of predominantly .223. Glad I didn't need anything.
    BigJon

Links