FTX Shelf Life

FTX Shelf Life

This is a discussion on FTX Shelf Life within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Greetings All, I am trying to stock up a bit on ammo & reloading components, and I'm considering some FTX bullets for .30-30, .308, and ...

Thread: FTX Shelf Life

FTX Shelf Life

Greetings All,

I am trying to stock up a bit on ammo & reloading components, and I'm considering some FTX bullets for .30-30, .308, and possibly a couple other calibers. I've never worried about 'old' ammunition - I've shot many a round of 30-40 year old stuff over the years with no problems.

I wonder, though, about the polymer tip on the FTX bullets. Most plastics will become harder and brittle with age, and I'm a little concerned about the FTX tips, particularly with respect to use in .30-30 loads for a tubular magazine. If the flex tip crumbled away, or got REAL hard, it seems there could be a serious issue! I'm thinking in terms of storage for conceivably 20-30 years (doubt I'll last much longer than that).

Any informed thoughts on the subject?

Regards,
    Jim

I believe if stored in the conditions you would normally store ammo it shouldn't be a problem,the one thing I've noticed that really affects any plastic type material is direct sunlight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe if stored in the conditions you would normally store ammo it shouldn't be a problem,the one thing I've noticed that really affects any plastic type material is direct sunlight
    Thanks for your response!

I agree that sunlight is a plastic's worst enemy, but I'm not totally convinced that age alone won't eventually cause the plastic to become brittle. I can't think offhand of any 20-30 year old soft plastic items that I have around to check on, and I have no idea what type of plastic the FTX tips are made from. I'm guessing it's some sort of silicone rubber that hasn't even existed for 30 years!

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm trying to figure out why you'd be concerned about a 20-30 year lifespan of ammo. Other than some WWII ammo I once acquired that was already past that age, any ammo I load doesn't last more than a couple of years before it's consumed and recycled.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would say if your really concerned than why not just go the tried and true route that's worked for well over a hundred years now and load those 30-30's with some good old flat nose bullets and forget about them. New fangled and fancy doesn't always equate to better in my mind (as limited as it sometime is).
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why you'd be concerned about a 20-30 year lifespan of ammo. Other than some WWII ammo I once acquired that was already past that age, any ammo I load doesn't last more than a couple of years before it's consumed and recycled.
    It's not "ammo" that I'm concerned about - It's reloading components (bullets), in case they should become more difficult, prohibitively expensive, or impossible to buy as time goes on.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I would say if your really concerned than why not just go the tried and true route that's worked for well over a hundred years now and load those 30-30's with some good old flat nose bullets and forget about them. New fangled and fancy doesn't always equate to better in my mind (as limited as it sometime is).
    Nothing wrong with good ol' flat nose bullets, but FTX's are far better. IF I can be sure they'll stay 'fresh' long enough, I'd rather stock up with ballistically superior bullets. In this case, "new fangled and fancy" does equate to better! I'd like to have a bullet that works well for both .30-30 and .308. Since the tubular .30-30 magazine puts some serious constraints on bullet type, I think the FTX is a good contender.

Regards,
    Jim

FYI I've been using silicone rubber since the 70's in automotive applications.

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    FYI I've been using silicone rubber since the 70's in automotive applications.
    ...as have I.

I didn't say that silicon rubber was anything new - I said I'm guessing the tips on FTX bullets are "...some sort of silicone rubber that hasn't even existed for 30 years". I've been in the plastics industry for most of the last 30 years. Polymer science makes leaps & bounds from one year to the next.

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Ask Hornady what the expected shelf life is. Just an Email away.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Links