Price changes in relation to ammo prices

This is a discussion on Price changes in relation to ammo prices within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am in the early stages of taking up another addictive hobby - and after seeing the price increases (and empty shelves) in standard ammo ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FLSlim

Thread: Price changes in relation to ammo prices

Price changes in relation to ammo prices

I am in the early stages of taking up another addictive hobby - and after seeing the price increases (and empty shelves) in standard ammo I was wondering if reloading supplies followed a similar pattern in panicked times. I know reloading is not all about saving money, but does the spread widen or do bullets, casings, etc also rise? and are supplies harder to find.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately reloading supplies follow the same pattern as ammo. This seems to especially be true of primers and nearly as bad with powders. The good news is most of us that are really into reloading (and want to minimize costs) buy in bulk and buy ahead of need. I would expect that my current supplies will last long enough to get through this latest hoarding craze.

As you would expect, supply and demand tend to drive prices of components.
    Jaybm likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Thanks for the reply - I was guessing that would be the case, but never hurts to check. Looks like I will hold tight and stock up when things normalize.

Yes reloading supplies and ammo, magazines and some guns are a bear to find right now. If you see you better buy it. My brother in law has been looking for a 9mm pistol and there a bear to find in my area. We just happened to find what he was looking for today at a lgs. A smith-wesson m&p9c for $560. Those are like finding gold around my area.

I know reloading is not all about saving money
    I have reloading and bullet casting equipmentthat have been paid for several times over with money I saved by reloading,I have plenty of range pickup brass so I don't buy any brass.
    I reload 380/9mm/40 S&W/38/357/and 45 acp for around .05 cartridge thats $5.00 100 rounds.
    223 I reload for about $12 100 since I make the bullet tips from spent 22 lr brass I just reloaded 500 rounds.
    I just bought 10,000 small pistol primers and 16 pounds of rifle powder for 223 loads,16 pounds of powder will reload about 5000 223 rounds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"I just bought 10,000 small pistol primers"

So that's why I couldn't find any !!! Seriously they are getting harder to find, lgs didn't have any CCI but did have Federal.
    Any comments on Federal, I've always used CCI.

Links