which press to purchase

which press to purchase

This is a discussion on which press to purchase within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am looking at the dillon 550 b or the 650. I am having trouble making a decision. I know either will do what I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: which press to purchase

which press to purchase

I am looking at the dillon 550 b or the 650. I am having trouble making a decision. I know either will do what I need, there is about a hundred dollar difference, which I could use to get some other components.

I shoot a fairly regularly, but not enough that I need to be pumping out thousands of rounds at a time. Is the auto indexing of the 650 really worth it the extra $$$?

I am loading 223, 9mm, and 40 primarily. I also load 380 and 30/30 to a small degree, but not enough that I would get a conversion for either of those two calibers.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

dillon 550

With the 550, you can probably pay for one of those caliber conversions.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    I'd go with the 550.
    It's way cheaper in the long run. Shell plates, conversion kits, everything.

I can do 600+ rounds per hour with the 550 as long as I have several loaded primer tubes.
    atctimmy and aus71383 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I agree with everyone else. I have a Dillon 550b and love it.

i got two 550's and i have never looked backed. got the first one in 1985. you can make a lot of ammo on a 550. i did look at the 650 once and all most went with it untill i found a used 550 for my second one.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My Uncle has the 550 and he is happy with it. I read this article and did some other research and then ordered the Hornady since until midnight you get 500 bullets free.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

Good luck!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I would get the 650 simply since you will then have a 5 station press. Very useable feature in the brand I use.

My first Dillon was a 450. I upgraded to the 550 a few years later. I am now on my second 550. I have a couple shooting buddies who have 650's however.

The 650 is a Great Machine if you are going to set it up to load ONE Shell, such as 9mm, 38 Special, 40 S&W, 45 acp, etc. It is not the best if you are reloading all of them.

The 550 is way more user friendly for swapping Tool Heads and Shell Plates to load something else.

A buddy of mine has a 650 with case feeder set up for 45 acp in his basement. Not sure about the Bullet Feeder. Talking with him I am sure he is producting atleast twice as much ammunition in the same amount of time that I am with my 550.

I do however take my time, and check for a primer on the arm, and check for powder in the case while I am loading.

Bob

I have a 650. I load both handgun and rifle cartridges and the 650 turns out a lot of ammo quite easily. They are very easy to change calibers EXCEPT for switching from large to small primers. (I ended up buying a second machine and leave one set for small primer and the other for large primer.)

If one reloads only handgun ammo the 550 might do. My buddy has a 550 and it seems to take him much longer to do anything than it does me.

Obviously, not everyone agrees.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Links