Guess what has two thumbs and gave One Shot a try tonight

This is a discussion on Guess what has two thumbs and gave One Shot a try tonight within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; This guy. Spent the next hour getting a .223 case out of my full length resizing Lee. Thankfully a trip to the freezer for a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By pscipio03
  • 1 Post By Jeff F

Thread: Guess what has two thumbs and gave One Shot a try tonight

Guess what has two thumbs and gave One Shot a try tonight

This guy.
    Spent the next hour getting a .223 case out of my full length resizing Lee. Thankfully a trip to the freezer for a couple hours, a hammer and a vise solved the issue.
    Never should have strayed from Imperial.
    But it looked so good...

2. Remove Ads

Re: Guess what has two thumbs and gave One Shot a try tonight

That fails. I only use One Shot for pistol cartridges.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Get a tap and die set,you can drill and tap the base and keep a bolt with a nut washer and another oversized nut,then you can just pull the stuck case out,I actually have some one shot I bought that I used a couple times and after sticking a 223 case it sits there as a reminder to never buy it again,it might work ok on pistol cases if you wanta make them resize easier on tapered wall cases.I usually use eithe Dillon case lube or Frankford Arsenal seems to work pretty good
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The freezer trick actually worked pretty well. Initially, I tried good old fashioned anger and some vice grips. Net result= brass shavings. But, after sticking it in the freezer, then removing the nut I was able to tap it out pretty quickly using a hammer.
    I'll say one thing- those Lee dies are pretty robust.
    aus71383 likes this.

Never had a problem with one shot - probably needed to spray the inside of the case necks at a steeper angle.

Well if you haven't stuck a case one way or another than you probably haven't loaded enough ammo or long enough.
    TX expat likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Never had a problem with one shot - probably needed to spray the inside of the case necks at a steeper angle.
    Okay, but I thought you do NOT want to get the necks lubed... Am I wrong on that?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I guess you never looked for that "Anyone ever tried Oneshot caselube?" thread!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I lay a hundred or so cases at a time on a paper towel in a cake pan, and squirt a few squirts of Dillon spray lube on them, and shake to roll them a bit. This is with .223 or .308, which then go into the casefeeder of the 650. Whether more are added, or loading is postponed for a while, I have not stuck a case in this manner.

Now, back in the days of a lube pad and the many brands of lube tried over the years...................Jeff F is absolutely correct.

Dillon Lube works!

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Okay, but I thought you do NOT want to get the necks lubed... Am I wrong on that?
    And now we have id'd the problem. Remember the sizing process has 2 steps, first the case is squeezed down to below SAAMI specs to ensure the cases fit into all in spec chambers; second, the expander ball is dragged back up through the neck for final sizing, but still tight enough for a press fit of the bullet. The expander ball goes in easily b/c the case neck is oversized, but still needs a lubed surface so that it can pass easily through the neck on the way up. When you got your reloading setup, I bet there was a nylon brush that looked a lot like a bore brush. When lubing cases using a pad, you're supposed to roll the brush on the lube pad and run the brush in/out of all the case necks. After sizing all the brass, you're supposed to clean the lube off. One of the benefits of OneShot is it won't interfere with powder burn so you don't have to clean it off cases and the other is speed of application to both the outside of the case and the inside of the case necks at the same time. One thing you do have to be aware of is kinda like using a can of paint, you can run out of lube before aerosol propellent. If you're at the end of a can and sizing gets a little stiffer, it's time to get a new can.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I've used One Shot on (I can't even really guess... but it's in the thousands somewhere) .223 and I've never stuck a case due to any fault other than my own. Sucks getting them stuck though, so I feel for you! Glad you got it out.

I usually take a handfull of cases and spray 'em in a ziplock bag. I try and get most of them standing upright so my first quick spray gets down in the case, but then I rub them around and give them a second quick spray and call it done. It's worked well so far.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I use one shot on 30-30 and 223 with no problems. I use a loading block and spray both sides at a 45 degree angle and let dry for a couple of minutes. Never a problem yet. I've sized 4000 223's with small base dies without a hint of a problem. MAKE SURE YOU SHAKE THE CAN FOR A FULL MINUTE BEFORE APPLYING AND DO IT EVERY TIME.
    Good luck!

Links