Getting close to reloading soon...

Getting close to reloading soon...

This is a discussion on Getting close to reloading soon... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So, I ordered the Hornady progressive press and it should be here the end of the month. I have been trying to get all the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting close to reloading soon...

  1. #1
    Member Array AZ_Larz_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    288

    Getting close to reloading soon...

    So, I ordered the Hornady progressive press and it should be here the end of the month.
    I have been trying to get all the items I will need in the mean time, but most things are out of stock everywhere here.
    Picked up 2,000 primers yesterday and some bullets. Today Sportsman's Warehouse got a delivery and there was a line of people waiting. I got lucky, they had RCBS carbide 45 ACP dies and more primers. Plus I got 5 lbs of Bullseye powder. I feel very lucky to get that since the shelves were empty, but the guy got it from the back. I really wanted Unique powder but at least I have something. Now all I need is a press and a scale and I am ready to reload!!! Woo Hoo!!!

    How are things in your areas? Are the shelves bare?

    Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!


  2. #2
    Member Array NiceAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    74
    I walked into my Ammo Suppliers shop today and his shelves were completely empty, he said first time since he put the shelves up.

    Reloading is looking like the way to go. Of course only if you can find the materials.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,563
    If you hit the store in Mesa, you know what it's like in "my" area. I'm surprised that there's been a run on powder, too.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,475
    One of my LGSs (family owned) closed shortly after a larger chain store (Lotus) opened. The old one had a "fair' amount of reloading goods, and the new one only recently began carrying supplies on a limited basis. They had an ample supply of primers except for pistol sizes, and the brand choices were few. Same for powder, not a lot of selection and not the powder I use. The fellow who maintains the reloading stock said it was tough getting stock right now but that as soon as the madness was over he'd have more choices available.

    Good luck in your new endeavor. Reloading is easy, but requires due diligence.
    AZ_Larz_NY likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array TX expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,787
    The one thing I'm going to add here is this; unless you are currently using and very happy with someone else's reloads, I would suggest that you buy some powder in 1 pound incriments instead of 4 pounds or more.

    It takes a long while to work through that much powder and half the reason to reload is to find the best loads for your purpose. Unless you are shooting someone's Bullseye rounds, you are needlessly locking yourself into a powder that may not be the best for you. Bullseye is a pretty fast powder, so while it has it's place, how do you know you wouldn't see better results with WST or Solo 100; or maybe something slower burning like 231, Universal or Unique? Personally, I've tried a bunch of powders and I have a bunch of 3/4 pound jugs of powder sitting around to prove it! I would have hated to get locked into any of them before I checked out some other varieties first.

    I realize it costs more to buy a pound, but you do have to look long term. Personally, I would rather spend a little more and try several powders, eventually finding the "best" one for my purpose, than try and maximize my savings early and end up with a powder that I might not really want. Reloading is a long term thing, so your cost savings will come, but with the experimenting, you'll get something that I believe goes beyond the cost savings and is really the best reason to reload.
    NRA Life Member

    "I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array high pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Georgia for now
    Posts
    4,653
    Ordered bullets from Berry's Mfg 3-1/2 weeks ago - not here yet.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

    - Anon

  7. #7
    Sponsor
    Array luvmy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Youngstown, OH
    Posts
    1,709
    No small pistol primer to be found anywhere in my AO and .223 components are like hens teeth. Everything else seems to be readily available.

    My favorite online reloading supplier is out of stock on a whole bunch of Lee equipment.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

  8. #8
    Member Array Jaybm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    238
    I'm currently using Trail Boss and TiteGroup. TX expat is right on the money saying don't weight yourself down with
    more than the 9 oz or one lb jars. But I see you already got a 5 lb jug. That might be several years worth. You'll be
    amazed how far the powder goes. Hate to ask but ... did you get a bullet puller ? You will need it.

    I broke down and bought an RCBS digital scale 110v or battery and now I wonder why I waited so long. Also an Ultra
    Sonic cleaner really makes brass cleaning easy.

    Stay alert and be safe.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array hayzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY View Post
    So, I ordered the Hornady progressive press and it should be here the end of the month.
    I have been trying to get all the items I will need in the mean time, but most things are out of stock everywhere here.
    Picked up 2,000 primers yesterday and some bullets. Today Sportsman's Warehouse got a delivery and there was a line of people waiting. I got lucky, they had RCBS carbide 45 ACP dies and more primers. Plus I got 5 lbs of Bullseye powder. I feel very lucky to get that since the shelves were empty, but the guy got it from the back. I really wanted Unique powder but at least I have something. Now all I need is a press and a scale and I am ready to reload!!! Woo Hoo!!!

    How are things in your areas? Are the shelves bare?

    Be safe!
    Sportsmans Warehouse shelves will continue to be bare - The All knowing fire marshall told them they can only have 20 lbs of powder on the floor. So now all primers and powders are in the back, so you have to ask a gun counter associate to check in the back for your powder. Which usually means a several minute wait. Not because they are slow, but the gun counter usually has several folks waiting at it.


    You don't want to know what I think of the Mesa Fire Marshall.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

    "People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array jem102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,022
    Pretty hard to go wrong with Bullseye in a .45 acp. Especially for practice loads with cast or swaged bullets. To the OP, if the powder does not work for you I will be most happy to take it off your hands.
    Who is John Galt?

    Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array frankmako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,834
    good luck on finding powder and primers. they went as fast a the 223 and 22lr ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

    Red State State of Mind

  12. #12
    Member Array AZ_Larz_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    The one thing I'm going to add here is this; unless you are currently using and very happy with someone else's reloads, I would suggest that you buy some powder in 1 pound incriments instead of 4 pounds or more.

    It takes a long while to work through that much powder and half the reason to reload is to find the best loads for your purpose. Unless you are shooting someone's Bullseye rounds, you are needlessly locking yourself into a powder that may not be the best for you. Bullseye is a pretty fast powder, so while it has it's place, how do you know you wouldn't see better results with WST or Solo 100; or maybe something slower burning like 231, Universal or Unique? Personally, I've tried a bunch of powders and I have a bunch of 3/4 pound jugs of powder sitting around to prove it! I would have hated to get locked into any of them before I checked out some other varieties first.

    I realize it costs more to buy a pound, but you do have to look long term. Personally, I would rather spend a little more and try several powders, eventually finding the "best" one for my purpose, than try and maximize my savings early and end up with a powder that I might not really want. Reloading is a long term thing, so your cost savings will come, but with the experimenting, you'll get something that I believe goes beyond the cost savings and is really the best reason to reload.
    TX, thanks for the info. I was trying to get Unique. My uncle reloads all the time and I have shot Unique rounds from him. He said he uses Bullseye also and likes it, I value his opinion. The powder I bought was 5 1LB cans. I bought all they would give me. I figure if I don't like it I can sell or trade it easily. I am still hoping to get some Unique, but if I cannot, I still have enough for awhile. That was my thought on buying so much, and as you can see, someone already offered to take it if I didn't like it.

    Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

  13. #13
    Member Array AZ_Larz_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you hit the store in Mesa, you know what it's like in "my" area. I'm surprised that there's been a run on powder, too.
    Smitty, yes it was Mesa. Shelves were bare, they did get the powder from the back for me. Thunderbird should be getting Unique in soon I hope, I call everyday to ask. LOL!

    Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

  14. #14
    Member Array AZ_Larz_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    I'm currently using Trail Boss and TiteGroup. TX expat is right on the money saying don't weight yourself down with
    more than the 9 oz or one lb jars. But I see you already got a 5 lb jug. That might be several years worth. You'll be
    amazed how far the powder goes. Hate to ask but ... did you get a bullet puller ? You will need it.

    I broke down and bought an RCBS digital scale 110v or battery and now I wonder why I waited so long. Also an Ultra
    Sonic cleaner really makes brass cleaning easy.

    Stay alert and be safe.
    I haven't, but my Uncle lives 3/10 of a mile from me and he has one should I need it. I am trying to focus my funds on the hard to get things right now, then buy the others when I have more money. Thanks for the info!

    Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

  15. #15
    Member Array AZ_Larz_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Pretty hard to go wrong with Bullseye in a .45 acp. Especially for practice loads with cast or swaged bullets. To the OP, if the powder does not work for you I will be most happy to take it off your hands.
    Thanks Jem. ;)

    Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mmbullits
,

inique powder out of stock everywhere

,
mesa fire marshal primers
,
people lining up at sportsman's warehouse
,
rcbs bullet swaging dies
,
sportsman warehouse mesa
,
sportsman warehouse shelves bare
,
sportsmans warehouse mesa reloading components shipping dates
,
t & t reloading
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors