New to relaoding, whats needed?

This is a discussion on New to relaoding, whats needed? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have about 3100rnds +350 on order various calibers most around 500rnds but only 177 in 308 so if I have to save up for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New to relaoding, whats needed?

I have about 3100rnds +350 on order various calibers most around 500rnds but only 177 in 308 so if I have to save up for better stuff thats ok since I don't shoot mutch
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I looked that one up and it has a lot of bad reviews, it seems like most reloading things have a lot of bad reviews

Im leaning towards the lee turret press i think but also like the QD breech press, not sure on which measurer, scale, tumbler, or trimmer
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

well its states the lee turrets don't easliy do full size rifle rounds?

Sponsor
    I run my .223 on a Lee 4 station turret but I do all of my .30 cal(.308, .30-06, .30-30 & .303brit) and .243 on the Breech Lock Single stage.

I've been using a Frankford Arsenal vib. tumbler for about 10 years and other than replacing the switch once, I've had no problems with it. I have never used the Harbor Freight tumbler.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Should i get the rcbs small seat dies since its for semi auto?

Quote Originally Posted by GregDepot View Post
    well its states the lee turrets don't easliy do full size rifle rounds?
    I use a Lyman T mag turret expert press kit. Man have the prices gone up since I bought mine with one caliber setup for 250. I have enought turrets set up to do 6 pistol calibers, and 6 rifle calibers. I added a tumbler and a good caliper along with loading blocks to the kit. All in all I think I have about 6-700 in it.

It works well for the volume of loading that I do, which might be anywhere between 2,000 and 5,000 rds a year. But I find reloading relaxing so, your needs may vary.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hey, unless you already have your powder and primers, I wouldn't bother with buying a press until you can locate them. No one has primers right now, and powder is in very short supply.

VIP Member
    Reloading is like building a fast car...... speed cost money--------how fast do you want to go!

Accurancy= time+knowledge+money
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have been using a single stage press for over 30 years now. Get a lee kit. It will come with everything you need except for dies. Even when later you want to up grade all the Lee equipment will still come in handy.

F&M Reloading Presses

Lee 50th Anniversary Kit Quantity in Basket: None
    Code: 90050
    Price: $106.99

Quantity:

Includes the new Breech Lock Challenger Press. You get a complete powder handling system, with the most convenient and repeatable Perfect Powder Measure. Plus the Lee Safety Scale, the most sensitive and safest of all powder scales and fill your case with the included Powder Funnel. A $133.94 value. Case Preparation Tools include a cutter and lock stud to trim your cases. Order the correct case length gauge for the calibers you will be loading, it’s only $4.98 extra. An included Lee chamfer tool chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth and a tube of premium sizing lube is included. A small and large primer pocket-cleaning tool completes the case preparation package. $13.92 value. But that’s not all! You get the Large and small Safety Prime. Prime with push button convenience and is safe with all brands of primers. Never touch the primer from box to the case. $30.00 value. Compare it to others priced at hundreds of dollars more. Reloading saves money and you save right from the start with Lee equipment.

i'm asuming theyle make more primers and powder eventualy unless their getting banned.

VIP Member
    I would think they will get the supplies back in stock soon, as most manufactures are running at max right now. The inventory will trickle into the stores very soon. The big "unless" is the Feinstein or Frankenstein bill that will get introduced next week. If there is a lot of who-ha over it, the buyers will panic purchase again. So depends on the media coverage of it. Maybe with Lance, and the hostage situation or some other news it may get over looked.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Those piles of MJ bricks found along the border are where the smugglers dumped the drugs to carry more primers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Those piles of MJ bricks found along the border are where the smugglers dumped the drugs to carry more primers.
    Thats just wrong.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GregDepot View Post
    do i need a power despenser or can I just use a scoop thing and put it on the scale

The cheap dipensors i saw had bad reviews

So no digital scale under $200, so get a scale on ebay used?
    You can use the scoops just fine, but the lee perfect powder dispenser works good. The lee balance scale is a little slowish and my buddy (reloading setup co-owner) hates it, but I use is perfectly fine with perfect repeatability.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links