Reloading Starter Kits?

Reloading Starter Kits?

This is a discussion on Reloading Starter Kits? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Is this the best option to start with, or is it better to piece it out?...

Reloading Starter Kits?

Is this the best option to start with, or is it better to piece it out?

VIP Member
    Depends on the price break. You must have a press, powder measure and scale of some sort. Usually the priming tools are a better option than trying to do that with the press, so I'd call that fairly essential as well. If the kit doesn't overload you with optional things you may not use, then you'll probably do a little better to buy it in the kit.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Starter kits, depending on what's included. are a good thing for most. The key word is "starter." It should include the basic necessities. Like TX expat says, some include a lot of "accessories" you may not need. It pays to shop around and find the kit that suits your needs best.

You get what you pay for. An inexpensive Lee kit will load rounds just like any other brand, but it may not be as efficient as the more expensive brands. Then there is an endless list of accessories that any reloader eventually acquires.

While some may endorse using only one brand name, no manufacturer meets all my requirements or desires, so I ended up with a mismash of brands that seems to work fine for 35+ years. It's fine go go all boue, green, red if that's your preference, but it's certainly not a necessity.

Piecing a setup out will be more expensive, especially if you're not sure you'll continue to reload, how much you'll reload, and what calibers you'll eventuall end up reloading. I'm a firm believer of learning the trade and then upgrading as needed. I'm still using some of my original equipment from 1975. The only thing I ever "wore out" was Lee hand primer, and I replaced it because I couldn't get a part. Other gear wass replaced/upgraded as my basic reloading needs increased.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've got the RockChucker kit I started out with works good for me..

Are there specific brands I should look at, i.e. kits and or tools and supplies? I only plan on doing 9mm, .40, and 45 for now. But mainly 9mm at first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 915A View Post
    Are there specific brands I should look at, i.e. kits and or tools and supplies? I only plan on doing 9mm, .40, and 45 for now. But mainly 9mm at first.
    They'll all do the job, they all have little tweaks that make them a little different though.

I bought this and I've been very happy.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit
    RCBS has a pretty hefty rebate going on too, so that helps with the cost.

If you need to save a little more and still get the basics, then this is a good option.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

Personally I didn't want the priming setup of the Lee and I got a great deal on the RCBS, so my choice was pretty simple, but any of them, or the other manufacturers will get the job done.

Also, all dies are standard, so Lee dies will work in an RCBS press, etc. No need to buy a specific die set because they all interchange in the single stage presses.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're looking for a hand primer, I just got the RCBS hand primer and highly endorse it--even over my less expensive Lee primer. The newer Lee handprimers require unique shellholders whereas the RCBS take standard shellholders.

While you'll see some performance "enhancement" reloading handgun rounds, if you reload for rifle rounds you can really tinker with the load and come up with rounds that far exceed commercial loads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Coincidence ?

I just took these photos this morning to show my loading station on a budget.
    I started with the Lee Kit and first to go was the Disc Powder Loader after some
    whatchamacallits ( puffs instead of bangs ) at the range. Then the next thing to
    go was the Balance Scale in favor of the RCBS Digital scale. Then I just had to
    have an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Well as far as the budget goes you just keep upgrading and here it is today.

RLB 01.JPG

RLB 02.JPG

RLB 03.JPG

The workbench is one of those folding Bench Mate I got at Lowe's and the wife
    graciously lets me use a corner of the kitchen.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Nothing wrong with Lee's kit,,, They work & you are spitting out ammo just as good as others ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

After a long hiatus from reloading, I bought the Lyman Turret Kit. It came with all the basic goodies, I bought a fist full of tools to augment it and a single stage press for my rifle rounds. I can really crank out some pistol ammo with that turret! Not as fast as my old man could with his Dillon, but respectable none the less.

I found the kit had most everything I needed to get started again, and the additional tools are cheap enough, that even on a budget basis, adding one or two a week is easy. My first upgrade though was a tumbler, because cleaning brass in the sink wasn't working out so much. (I still occasionally do.) Of course calipers or case gauges of some sort will be needed right away, if they don't come with the prepacked kit.

I haven't replaced anything per say, only added to what came with the package. The scale, trimmer and powder dispenser are all fine enough equipment. Pending the kit you choose will depend on what you get, be it brand or type, like balance vs electronic, Lee vs RCBS etc.

As far as what brand, I think you'd be hard to go wrong with any of them. Pick a color..................

Here's my space as of today,
    Bench.jpg
    Last edited by Sparky508; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

I purchased the lee kit while back and the press is fine. There are minor annoyance compared to my old RCBS set. The powder measure and scale that comes with the kit is cheaply made. The lee powder measure leaked so much powder and when you tighten the screw, it makes it hard to move the handle. I went out and bought the LNL measure and it is 100 times better. I tried to like the powder measure that came with the kit and decided to upgrade to a digital measure.

Links