ABC'S of reloading questions?

This is a discussion on ABC'S of reloading questions? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; In most threads i have read about reloading the book ABC'S of reloading is recommended. Had a couple of questions. 1 is the 9th edition ...

Thread: ABC'S of reloading questions?

ABC'S of reloading questions?

In most threads i have read about reloading the book ABC'S of reloading is recommended. Had a couple of questions.
    1 is the 9th edition the most recent
    2 on barnes and noble i saw a few different authors. Is it just different authors for different editions.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I believe the 9th is the newest edition

The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert: Rodney James: 9781440213960: Amazon.com: Books

I'm pretty sure the author changes with every edition, but the book is just updated. Quite honestly, you could probably read the 1st edition and get the same basics out of it (not that I would recommend it). The components have changed over the years but the basic principles behind reloading are the same.

*** and yes, it's a great book to read when you are getting started reloading!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Any good reloading manual is a good start. I've held on to my Speer #9 for years. I think it's up to #13 or 14 now. But basics remain the same, even if some of the equipment in the photos is a bit outdated.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank you. Figured i might as well put my money towards reloading supplies and books on reloading. Cant find ammo so perfect time to get started reloading.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timkid View Post
    Thank you. Figured i might as well put my money towards reloading supplies and books on reloading. Cant find ammo so perfect time to get started reloading.
    Well you may have some trouble finding components as well, but once things settle down some, it'll all get back to normal. It is nice to be more self sufficient when it comes to ammo, so it's a great investment IMO.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Any good reloading manual is a good start. I've held on to my Speer #9 for years. I think it's up to #13 or 14 now. But basics remain the same, even if some of the equipment in the photos is a bit outdated.
    #14 i belive was looking around on midwayusa today. Probaly going to order abc's and either speers or Lyman reloading manual.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timkid View Post
    #14 i belive was looking around on midwayusa today. Probaly going to order abc's and either speers or Lyman reloading manual.
    If you have any interest in lead, I'd suggest the Lyman. Actually, even if you plan to shoot plated like Berry's, I'd suggest the Lyman so you have some lead data to work from.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well you may have some trouble finding components as well, but once things settle down some, it'll all get back to normal. It is nice to be more self sufficient when it comes to ammo, so it's a great investment IMO.
    Ya have read its hard to find componets but thats alright gives me time to decide on press and get set up for 9mm to start with. And want to buy 10mm have always read that reloading is only way to go with 10mm.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Good thread. I've been out of reloading for over 20 years myself and just dusted off the old Dillon 550 and sent it back to them for a once over and refurb before starting again. Besides ABCs - what's considered the best reloading manual these days?

Lyman or Speer are both good. I get a new one every 10 years or so as some powders get re-formulated and the recommended charges will change unless you have really old powder. Supplies are getting thin out there as my LGS is limiting powder to 1 lb per visit per day and primers to 1000 per visit per day. I buy lead on line when I can find what I want.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A lot of the powders in my Speer #9 no longer exist or have been replaced with newer ones.. The powder manufacturers are helpful in that area.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

if you also find any of the older reloading book you will get lots of good info and load data that the newer books don't have. i still find myself going back to my first speer book i got new in 1973 for load data. but any book is a good start and a must for reloading.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links