Setting up my bench, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Setting up my bench, any suggestions? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; OK, the press came in today, the garage is cleaned, walls and bench painted. I am ready! My bench is about 3'X6.5'. There is nothing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Setting up my bench, any suggestions?

Question Setting up my bench, any suggestions?

OK, the press came in today, the garage is cleaned, walls and bench painted. I am ready! My bench is about 3'X6.5'. There is nothing on it right now, it is just a sheet of plywood on steel legs. I do plan on putting cabinets up and to the side where I want to put the tumbler. Lighting will be a 4' drop light in addition to the lights in the garage.

Any suggestions on where to put the press? The bench will sit up against the wall and another wall to the right.

Here is a pic before the paint today.

Bench-1.JPG

Thanks!

Be safe!
    Last edited by AZ_Larz_NY; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Pic was upside down
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

2. Remove Ads

Off hand I'd say, On top that bench since its cleaned off!

Actually, without knowing if you're right or left handed, its hard to say.

For progressive presses you need access on both sides. I'm a righty so my press (Hornady AP) is on the right end of my bench, but far enough away from the edge such that if the bench was butted against the wall to the right, I would have enough room to get my hands and head in on the right side of the press. I'd experiment by clamping the press in place to ensure you leave enough room to make adjustments, change out parts, etc. without having to dismount the press.

AZ reloaders unite!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You'll want some heavy stuff on the back side of the bench. I put all my bullets on the back of the bench to help keep it weighted down. If you start pulling the handle when sizing and the bench tips, it sort of takes the fun out of your day.

Austin
    Jaybm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    Off hand I'd say, On top that bench since its cleaned off!

Actually, without knowing if you're right or left handed, its hard to say.
    Damn, I was going to try underneath, so I can lay down while reloading. LOL!

Be safe!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    For progressive presses you need access on both sides. I'm a righty so my press (Hornady AP) is on the right end of my bench, but far enough away from the edge such that if the bench was butted against the wall to the right, I would have enough room to get my hands and head in on the right side of the press. I'd experiment by clamping the press in place to ensure you leave enough room to make adjustments, change out parts, etc. without having to dismount the press.

AZ reloaders unite!
    Smitty,

Thanks. I am right handed and was leaning towards the right side, but wanted some input from my friends here.

I have the same press, just came in today, Hornady progressive. ;)

Be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    You'll want some heavy stuff on the back side of the bench. I put all my bullets on the back of the bench to help keep it weighted down. If you start pulling the handle when sizing and the bench tips, it sort of takes the fun out of your day.

Austin
    Thanks Austin, this bench is pretty stable, but that is a good point. I was also considering bolting it to the wall.

Be safe!

Larz, I don't know how thick your benchtop is, but stiffness is your friend. I used 3/4" plywood for my top and there is no flexing at all when I run the ram down on a tough rifle case. If you get flexing, you may find it useful to reinforce a local (front-to-back) section of your bench with an extra layer of top material.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Smitty, I have 3/4" plywood also. I was also thinking of adding a 1X4 or a steel plate under the bench as extra support for the press. What are your thoughts on this?

If I have to reinforce the bench it would have to be done underneath as I painted it today. LOL! 3 coats of blue semi gloss.

I will post photos when the press is mounted.

Be safe!

Smitty, when did you become a MOD?

Be safe!

Oh heck, about 9 months ago. Hard to keep track with this gray beard and incipient Alzheimer's, ya know.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

LOL! I don't remember seeing it under your name.

Congrats!

Be safe!

Sponsor
    You'll be surprised at the amount of torque you can put on the press handle. I have my progressive mounted on a 2'x4'x1-1/2" butcher block with steel legs, full drawers and about 100lb of tools and "stuff" on a steel back peg board. The top of the back board is screwed to the wall and I still get some motion when I pull the handle. I am going to strap the tops of the legs to the wall. That should geterdone!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    You'll be surprised at the amount of torque you can put on the press handle. I have my progressive mounted on a 2'x4'x1-1/2" butcher block with steel legs, full drawers and about 100lb of tools and "stuff" on a steel back peg board. The top of the back board is screwed to the wall and I still get some motion when I pull the handle. I am going to strap the tops of the legs to the wall. That should geterdone!
    OK, thanks for the info. I guess it will get mounted to the wall as well now.

Be safe!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Set your equipment up and clamp it in place. Simulate working up a load and see what gets in you way, what needs more room, what works fine. Once you've settled on what's best for you, drill and permanently attach.

If you're placing the table in the corner, anchor it to the back and side. That should eliminate any "wiggle" while loading.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links