How do you capture your brass for reloading - Page 2

How do you capture your brass for reloading

This is a discussion on How do you capture your brass for reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; That's why I wear a hat with a brim when I shoot Originally Posted by iguanadon I take a shot and catch the shell in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How do you capture your brass for reloading

Senior Moderator
    That's why I wear a hat with a brim when I shoot

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I take a shot and catch the shell in mid-air in my shirt pocket. Impresses those around me.

Funny story... went shooting with a buddy last month and he's firing, I'm watching from behind him. He shoots, then suddenly jumps and screams. The brass had shot up in the air and down inside his safety glasses and was sitting just below his eye burning him. Nothing serious, so we chuckle.... 2 magazines later... it happened AGAIN. Same eye, same spot. By then he was pretty pissed.
    dukalmighty and raytracer like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

To add to my previous post, over at the big range we put down tarps and don't have to look in the grass, but we have about 50' of firing line. Another tip is if anyone is shooting steel cases, we roll a roofers magnet over the ground and cull the steel, before we pick up the brass

Last Sunday, we were at the range and the boys were shooting my Thompson 1927-A1 and the tarp was not hanging at the distance they were shooting and I noticed the brass being thrown completly over the fence--still our place, but a pain to pick up over in the leaves and have to walk up to the gate or tear your pants crossing the fence. .

I also get to shoot at a local LE range sometimes and mostly they don't pickup brass. It is on concrete and we use a #3 grain scoop to pick up brass. Great source of .40, .223 and sometimes 9mm.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Pgrass got to it first. I sneak up on it quietly and throw my cast net over it.
    pgrass101 and SP2710 like this.

subs

I got tired of chasing 10mm brass all over the range and started using a handheld catcher (Graco Models). It's not perfect, and required a bit of adjustment, but I was surprised that it catches about 90% of the brass.

I set out a box propped up with a stick and a trip string,I then stake a piece of brass depending on which type I'm trying to capture 223/40/9/45 etc in the middle,pretty soon other brass will start accumulating under the box and when theres enough I jerk the stick out and trap it
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was speaking with a young lady in line with me at last weekend's gun show and she explained how she catches her brass. She said she just unbuttons the top two buttons of her blouse and all her spent brass goes right in her shirt. She did say it hurts like heck, but she doesn't have to look far for her brass.
    blanco64 and Drgnfly like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

At my indoor range the Range Safety Officer asks if I am collecting my brass and i tell him yes. My station is clean when i start and when done, he rakes up all the brass into a pile for me to collect. Nice touch. If it someone is not collecting, he pushes it out onto the range in front of the shooting position. Yes, we are required to wear a hat to do away with the Hot Brass Issue.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Revolver
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I was speaking with a young lady in line with me at last weekend's gun show and she explained how she catches her brass. She said she just unbuttons the top two buttons of her blouse and all her spent brass goes right in her shirt. She did say it hurts like heck, but she doesn't have to look far for her brass.
    I'm sure she has no problem with help in the matter.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I bend and pick.

Getting hot brass on you must have something to do with your grip or wrist. I really have "no idea" where mine goes while I'm shooting - over to the right somewhere and not on me, doesn't concern me. My sister shoots my gun, same gun same ammo and gets the hot brass treatment. Figure on that.
    The range provides a dust broom, we bring a big coffee can. Haven't found a good solution for "free range" shooting, too much grass and/or leaves. Maybe a tarp is in order.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Gravity assistance.

I've been known to do like Gman and use the bed of the pickup but for me, it seems to work best with rifles.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

10x15 tarp and stand on the front left corner so brass lands onto the tarp. Indoor range? Take a friend with a pillow case.

I rarely shoot at a range. My normal shooting places are on US Forest Service land. I will lay out a tarp where the brass is landing and collect it that way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links