Local sources for primers and powder

This is a discussion on Local sources for primers and powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am thinking about startin to reload. Are there local chain type stores that carry primers and powder? Or will I have to order them ...

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

I am thinking about startin to reload. Are there local chain type stores that carry primers and powder? Or will I have to order them on-line and pay the haz-mat fee?

Finding the aforementioned items is getting difficult. Most of the online dealers are sold out or have raised prices. I need more primers, but am probably going to wait until the prices go down and availability is back up.

I generally wait for the local gun show and buy my powder and primers since most gun stores I have found around where I live do not stock it. The gun show the vendors are a bit inflated but no hazmat fee's. I always stock up so I have plenty of powder and primers to hopefully last until the suppies get back to normal.
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

VIP Member
    Here is my 2 cents worth. If you are not into now, just keep purchasing ammo, unless you would like to start a new hobby. I have reloaded for years. I have over time got more and more equipment, components, books etc.....

Everything is either over priced or out of stock. Simple shell holders I used to get for $1.99 are $8.99, Primers were 1 to 2 cents each now over 4 cents each. Powder was $8.99 a pound now in the $20.00 range.

The amount of ammo you would have to make to break even is thousands of rounds. My supply resources tell me that components will first go to making factory ammo then for the reloading. So the reloading shelves will be bare for some time.
    Yes the gun shows have some components but the price gouging is terrible.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Our walmart sells primers, so it might be worth checking a couple close to you. A fair amount of gun shops will sell reloading supplies. The best way to go is buy a pound of power and some primers locally. Once you've tried a few different brands out and you have a good idea of how much stuff you'll use, then buy in quantity from a place that will ship powder and primers together. That way you'll only have one hazmat fee and you can split it up over a bunch of product.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Links