What do I need for .380 conversion from Dillon?

This is a discussion on What do I need for .380 conversion from Dillon? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Getting back into reloading after being out of the gun scene for the past 20 years, and I ordered a xl650 for 9mm 3 weeks ...

Thread: What do I need for .380 conversion from Dillon?

What do I need for .380 conversion from Dillon?

Getting back into reloading after being out of the gun scene for the past 20 years, and I ordered a xl650 for 9mm 3 weeks ago, my wife carries a Sig P938 and this weekend she bought the Sig P238 cause it was pretty, (black with pearl handles) any way looks like I'll be reloading .380 now too. I know I'll need a tool head and dies, but what about the shell plate? does the .380 work in the 9mm plate? Is there any think else I need, Dillons website isn't that informative on what comes with caliber conversion kits.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

You need the 223 shellplate for 380acp on my 550 its the #3 plate with #3 buttons/you'll need 380 dies and I use the 9mm powder funnel.
    The 650 #3 shell plate is part #13345 for $38.99,or the caliber conversion that includes everything including the case feeder parts is part #21104 for $77.95
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if I would need the shell plate or not and couldn't find which shell plate was for what, they just had numbers but nothing to correspond with caliber on them.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Get a magnifier and some tweezers as well. I've reloaded 380 and found it a tedious process. They're little buggers.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself in load count without trying them out. 380's are notorious for being finicky eaters. My 238 fed hundreds of my hand loads and then stopped liking them. No amount effort on my part would change it. Clearly there was a logical reason but I never found it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I hear about the magnifier, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to this, thought the same thing, they are little buggers. Curious on the finicky part tho, O.A.L didn't change or anything to make it decide not to feed in your 238?

VIP Member
    I loads hundreds of 9MM on my 550 but only about 100 at a time of the .380. I am not sure why but the 9mm is very easy and never a problem but the .380 is a huge pain.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

A caliber conversion for a 650 should come with the appropriate shell plate, that's why they are $77.

Terry

Yeah if you use Brianenos web site he has a FAQ and over the phone will identify precisely what you need. If you plan on swapping tool heads like my reloader there are things like getting another powder die that will slip past you if you dont ask. In my case adding another caliber means another tool head, a die set, caliber conversion kit and another powder die. Then I can switch to that other caliber. I have decided reloading 380 is a waste of time. My wife practices with my P938 and then carries her P238 and when she really needs to practice I just buy a value 100 box of 380 and let her shoot it. The P238 is made for 10-15 foot distances and honestly not an ideal high volume practice gun. If the P938 had been out at the time I bought hers I would have simply bought two P938s.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Get a magnifier and some tweezers as well. I've reloaded 380 and found it a tedious process. They're little buggers.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself in load count without trying them out. 380's are notorious for being finicky eaters. My 238 fed hundreds of my hand loads and then stopped liking them. No amount effort on my part would change it. Clearly there was a logical reason but I never found it.
    Very good advice ^^^^^.

You can make junk ammo really fast with a 650, or any progressive press for that matter. Make sure the recipie is good before you pull the handle too many times.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

I reload 380 and cast my own bullets,One I always do is whenever I set up dies is make sure I don't over bell the case mouth.since I do have a case feeder but not the 380 parts I hand feed each one into the slide and sometimes gotta use a finger to help line up the case mouth with the die which can be a pain if ya got a fat finger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for all the input, Got a notice yesterday Dillon shipped part of my order, not sure what yet but, I'm not in that big a hurry, got plenty of other winter projects to complete before I can start this one.

Links