modded Turret a little

This is a discussion on modded Turret a little within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I had seen, on the web, where another guy had done this, to his Lyman T-Mag and copied what I believe he did. Tossed ...

Thread: modded Turret a little

modded Turret a little

So I had seen, on the web, where another guy had done this, to his Lyman T-Mag and copied what I believe he did. Tossed the original handle into a drawer, as it was too long and would hit the press handle if you rotated around 360 and would end up in a position where grabbing it to rotate wasn’t comfortable. Went to the hardware store, picked up a couple 5/8” hitch pins about 3” long or so. Then I went to the hobby store and found these wooden balls. Drilled the balls out and glued ‘em on to the pins.

Now I have two handles, that clear the press handle when they rotate around the positions, and there’s always one where you want it to be when you’re rolling through the stations. Sped up my handgun loads by a bit too it seems.

So who’s ever idea this was the first time around, good thinking, cause it works great!

Turret.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I have no problem modifying stuff,I would contact Lyman with your concerns and show them before/after pics,maybe they will change the handle design
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nice....
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Administrator
    Free thinking Americans can always figger out a way to get er done!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no problem modifying stuff,I would contact Lyman with your concerns and show them before/after pics,maybe they will change the handle design
    Might do that, but I'll have to do some web searching to find the old-boy that did it first.

My mods to Lyman turret

Was raining the other day and I was changing the turret on my Lyman--I like to leave dies set up and change turrets. I often have 2 sets of dies on a turret, but they are hard to store with the dies because you can break the decaping pins. I looked in the scrap bin and found a mounting plate for "something". I drilled out the center hole, cut a 5/8 bolt to fit and put a set screw to hold it in. A 5/8 X 11 nut serves as a stop for the turret to sit on. For you non metal workers, you could use wood and countersink the bolt on the bottom of the wood base or use a carriage bolt and pull it into the block. Sure helps to store turrets and dies off of the press.

Next project: Only one of my 3 turrets had handles from Lyman, one had no holes to add handles and one had holes but they were not tapped. I drilled out to tap for 7/16 USS thread and built 2 sets of handles--again using scrap in the bin. I had some 3/4" stock that was already knurled, so I cut it and shaped it on the lathe, drilled a blind hole in the end and tapped it for the threaded rod used as a shaft. The other handles were just some brass rod sitting in the parts bin.aturret-2.JPGaturret-1.JPGaturret-3.JPGaturret-2.JPGaturret-1.JPGaturret-3.JPG

I never thought about tapping those holes in the turret for the handles, but that would definitely keep them bad boys from popping out. Replace the hitch pins with bolts or thread some round stock and put the balls on the end of those.

Links