Need a good load for 9mm 125 gr. LRN

This is a discussion on Need a good load for 9mm 125 gr. LRN within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; As I mentioned in previous threads, I'm an old reloader just getting back into the swing of things. I recently found some old loads I ...

Thread: Need a good load for 9mm 125 gr. LRN

Need a good load for 9mm 125 gr. LRN

As I mentioned in previous threads, I'm an old reloader just getting back into the swing of things. I recently found some old loads I made up back in the early 90's that were put together with lead round nose bullets. The box was put up where I wouldn't use it and I noticed why... the bullets were put in with a crimp. I used a kinetic puller and found 6.7gr. of spherical powder inside the case (possibly Win 296 or AA #2). I'm thinking it might have been AA#2 but according to today's listings that would have been a really hot load. What I was planning on doing is pop the bullets out, resize the case without depriming and bell the mouth, re-powder with a moderate load and seat the bullets correctly without the case crimp. Referencing my Hornady catalog does me no good as they only list the jacketed bullets they sell and not any lead loads. Does anyone have a starting load they have used preferably in W296 or AA2 for a 9mm 125gr LRN? Thanks in advance, Cyberbach
    Last edited by Cyberbach; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I just looked at my Hornady, Lyman and Lee manuals. Hornady and Lee show loads for 125 gr lead bullets (Lyman has 120 gr lead, close enough), but not in your choice of powders.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My Hornady is an old volume (Third Edition, Fifth Printing 1985), and only has 4 bullets listed: 90 gr HP, 100 gr FMJ, 115 gr HP and 124 FMJ. I have other powders but I thought the AA#2 and WIN 296 were the fastest and best suited for 9mm. I also have AA#9, H110, WIN231, Blue dot and Unique. Perhaps there might be a load for the WIN231?
    I'm sorry to have to ask this as I know I don't like to just throw loads out to people when I don't know what they are shooting and such but I was just kind of anxious to re-load this batch and test a few loads so I can make up a nice batch to take out to the range. Right now I've got 23 primed cases resized down with mouths belled and 23 loose 126 gr LRN bullets that need a load. Oh, and I've got roughly 152 gr of loose unidentified powder that I have to torch... might have to let my 14 yr old son do the honors, he's got that pyro bug

How big a box we talking? Because the barrel, crimp, and everything will matter a little. You need to chrono and start at min and work up with the gun of choice. If you look here Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

The min for w231 is 3.9 grains (1009fps) to 4.4gr (1086) max

My books dont show either w231 or AA2 as one of their examples but you only need a load strong enough to make the gun reliably function.

So again this forces us to check the Accurate reloading data here

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

Looks like depending on the bullet you are starting around 3.1gr at the lowest and 4.7 as the hottest load for their 124gr examples.

Beyond that you need a chrono and actually test.

If you use common standards for competition 125,000 power factor usually makes most 9mm pistols reliable and very safe. So if the bullet is around 1000fps range with a 4-4-5" inch barrel you are in a nice window of safety for a 14 year old to be firing, after YOU test it first.

test at least 5-6 of them for a consistent average.

Hope the primers are good. If you hear a possible SQUIB make sure and STOP, dont fire another round and blow a gun up in your face. Old reloads that have been exposed to the garage, basement, car can develop some duds. Getting a bullet half way down the pipe and firing again is not worth a box of unknown ammo IMO.

I would also give them a taper crimp because if a 9mm bullet gets accidentally mashed in (shortened length) this can cause a dangerous situation with a compressed load due to the over-seated bullet.

Make sure and barrel drop these before you head to the range, or use a case gauge which is much better.

That's the best advice I can muster but good luck. Don't take this lightly if you are rusty. Better safe than sorry.

First, I wouldn't use 296 (generally a magnum powder) or AA2 (too fast for my taste) for your loads, but since you have 231 and Unique, those would be good candidates IMO. Whether you call it a crimp or not, you still need to remove the "bell" from the case when you seat your bullet so that the diameter at the case mouth is about 0.378 or so. You really need a recent reloading manual to get a good restart, but to get you rolling, Hodgdon shows a start load for 125 gr LRN using 231 to be 3.9 gr at an OAL of 1.125.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Thanks Georgia for the tips and URL's of the powder listings. I think I may have mislead you however, when I was referencing my 14 year old, I was saying that I might let him help me to get rid of the powder that was originally in these cartridges, not actually torch off the rounds in a gun. I had no documentation on these loads and I didn't like the heavy crimp on the cases so I decided to pull a couple to discover what they were. They were loaded with 6.7 gr of a spherical ball powder which appeared to be either W296 or AA#2. I decided they appeared way too hot so I pulled all the bullets, prepped the cases and decided to re-charge them with 4.1 gr of WIN 231. There were 23 loaded cartridges so I ended up with about 152 gr of loose powder that I said I would have my 14 year old help me light it off. (Still thinking about it...) The bullets were 126 gr hard cast with a .356 dia. and I loaded them to 1.125" COL with a very light crimp. I don't have access to a set of sky screens for chronoing currently but according to the tables I should expect about 1,000 fps. I did the drop clunk test and they cycle in my weapon without a hitch. If they perform well and the brass exhibit no signs of cratering I may decide to run with this load. Thanks again everyone, Cyberbach

Hey Slim, I didn't see your post until after I refreshed the page. As you can see in my pics I put a very ever so slight crimp to take the bell out and the sharpness of the case mouth, I did check with a micrometer after reading your post and I'm showing .374 - .375 I'll post results once I get a chance to take em to the range and light em up, thanks again.

AA website lists a load for a 124 gr LC RN bullet at 3grs of #2 starting and 3.8gr. maximum.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good luck with the loads. That is a pretty heavy "crimp" so you might have some accuracy issues. Good luck with the loads and watch out for the snow plows. My dad is in the GI & Kearney area and they got a pretty good pile of the white stuff a few days ago.

BTW, measure the crimp with the "knife edge" of your calipers as close to the case mouth as you can get. Otherwise you won't get a very accurate reading.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links