.223 dent case

This is a discussion on .223 dent case within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey all, I've started to prep my once fired PMC (my AR only) .223 cases for reload. Until I removed them from the tumbler and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevew

Thread: .223 dent case

.223 dent case

Hey all, I've started to prep my once fired PMC (my AR only) .223 cases for reload. Until I removed them from the tumbler and noticed the same dent on every case in the same spot. I'm guessing it is from slamming the lip of the ejection port of my AR. Are these case ruined now? I've not yet loaded for rifle yet, this would be my first time. Will these dents iron out in the factory crimp stage? I am going to try a couple no primer/charge trials. Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to see 500 cases go to the scrap yard.
    Attached Images
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont think it will be a problem but wait for more experienced reloaders to chime in. If they end up scrap, so be it. I would be concerned as to why my rifle is doing this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The dents usually come out (mostly) during Full length sizing. What doesn't (and still fits in a case gauge), will be fine for all but Maximum precision work. You may want to consider a slightly heavier buffer in your AR.

Terry

Be sure to trim to length after Full Length Sizing.
    The buffer change is usually required in a carbine length AR.
    Last edited by Exsimguy1; February 24th, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling, added info

I noticed when I was in the army that every M16 i fired did this. Never thought twice about. My guess is that the side of the case is contacting the edge of the ejection when it is being ejected. Not a reloader but I imagine their is a way to correct it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I wouldn't worry about. They will come out when you shoot them and be replaced by a new dent.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dents don't come out in resizing, bulges do. It is not uncommon for those evil assault rifles to dent the ejected cases to some extent. You will have ever so slightly reduced powder capacity with the dented case but the dent will disappear upon the next firing (only to be replaced with a new one possibly). Don't worry about it. It was in all my Mil brass once upon a time, never to be seen again in my Rem 788 bolt action..
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I wouldn't worry about. They will come out when you shoot them and be replaced by a new dent.
    Unless it is dented so severally it will not enter the resizing die it is nothing to worry about.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If you are not shooting a "slick side" receiver the dents come fro the empty hitting the shell deflector (the hump right behind the port). 3 ways to fix it:
    1. Coat the forward face of the deflector with black RTV. Makes the best looking fix and works well.
    2. Get a strip of self adhesive loop Velcro (the hook side does not work as well) and cut a patch to fit the forward face of the deflector. Works well but comes off after a fairly short time because the adhesive does not resist gun cleaners very well.
    3. Strip the bolt and cut 3-4 coils off the ejector spring. Works but I have seen light loads let the empty bounce back into the port and jam the carrier.

Or, simply ignore it. The cases will resize,and fire just fine and have good life if you set the head space correctly.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links