Reloading Steel

Reloading Steel

This is a discussion on Reloading Steel within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I see everywhere not to reload steel... well I did. I reloaded 5, seem to road and shoot just fine. The twice shoot looks just ...

Thread: Reloading Steel

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Reloading Steel

I see everywhere not to reload steel... well I did. I reloaded 5, seem to road and shoot just fine. The twice shoot looks just like the once shot ones.

I'm going to reload these 5 until I start to see something screwing up. Anyone else ever reloaded them?

I have loaded a few dozen WWII vintage steel cases, years back, just to see if I could. I ran them heavily lubed, in RCBS NON-carbide dies. They sized allright, but I could see the belling process, and then back to a taper crimp, was going to lead to short life. I thought it was kinda cool, but could see no longterm benefit to trying to make a habit out of it.

Terry

OOps, forgot to say, .45acp.

VIP Member

Reloading Steel

I've never done any steel but I did talk to a guy at the range who said he has been reloading steel cases for a long time. He said they can't be reloaded too many times but you can get a few out of them. He primarily reloaded .45, I'd be pretty careful with any high pressure loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Nope because there are plenty of reasons not too... all valid and documented. Its not a wives tail, steel is more difficult to trim than brass, is not as malleable like brass, steel is also more prone to cracking than steel, due to its lower expansion. Do what floats your boat be be very careful
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links