solid copper 9mm bullets?

This is a discussion on solid copper 9mm bullets? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Does anyone know of or heard of a manufacturer of solid copper 9mm round nose bullets? All I have seen so far are hollow points ...

Thread: solid copper 9mm bullets?

Does anyone know of or heard of a manufacturer of solid copper 9mm round nose bullets? All I have seen so far are hollow points but I need solid copper, or do you guys think it would be more feasible to just cast my own bullets?

Thanks in advance

why do you want solid copper bullets ?? Ive only ever seen hollow points made in copper...

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    why do you want solid copper bullets ?? Ive only ever seen hollow points made in copper...
    long story but for future testing purposes I need solid copper...I cant seem to find it anywhere so I assume for now that casting them myself is the best bet, though I have never heard of anyone casting their own copper rounds

yeah Im sure its gonna take some high temps to melt copper LOL. and cost ya some decent money for the price of copper.. good luck and Id love to see your finshed product. Ive done lots of testing with the copper hollow points and they work great, and in some cases better than traditional lead bullets,

Melting point of copper: 1,981 degrees F

thanks! and yeah the high temp is not a big deal, we work with molten electrolysis in our lab and those temps get up to around 4,000 degrees F with the other metals we use. We are hoping to engineer a new bullet design for military use, starting with pistol cartridges and working up into the 5.56 and .308 market...in the process of obtaining an FFL to do so

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    If you need anyone to test them out, I'll take a few thousand...

I may even do it pro bono....

Yeah count me in as well to do some testing for the copper bullets, I can test in .380 .9mm .40S&W and .45ACP...

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    Does anyone know of or heard of a manufacturer of solid copper 9mm round nose bullets? All I have seen so far are hollow points but I need solid copper, or do you guys think it would be more feasible to just cast my own bullets?

Thanks in advance
    Never seen round-nose copper, but maybe give Barnes a call and talk to their tech people.

If you only need a few, you could probably use their .358 dia rifle bullets (which are not a true spitzer but not quite round nose, either) and with a little machining you could improve the nose profile and shorten them to adjust the weight.

Barnes Bullets - Pistol | Barnes Bullets

What is your need for copper bullets?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Barnes and Fiocchi make lead copper bullets. I would imagine there should be several manufactures since so many ranges are requiring lead free bullets.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Never seen round-nose copper, but maybe give Barnes a call and talk to their tech people.

If you only need a few, you could probably use their .358 dia rifle bullets (which are not a true spitzer but not quite round nose, either) and with a little machining you could improve the nose profile and shorten them to adjust the weight.

Barnes Bullets - Pistol | Barnes Bullets

What is your need for copper bullets?
    thanks appreciate the info! We have hopeful designs for new rounds that may be useful upgrades for the military and law enforcement...just need to make them, test them, and hopefully get good results based on our hypothesis. Going through the FFL process currently

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Barnes and Fiocchi make lead copper bullets. I would imagine there should be several manufactures since so many ranges are requiring lead free bullets.
    Yeah unfortunately I cant use lead at all, just solid copper otherwise the usual copper jacket rounds would have been fine

Sponsored Links