Factory Load Data

Factory Load Data

This is a discussion on Factory Load Data within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; If you wanted to duplicate the factory load, do any of the manufacturers list the load data for their factory loaded ammunition? I know they ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Hook686

Thread: Factory Load Data

Factory Load Data

If you wanted to duplicate the factory load, do any of the manufacturers list the load data for their factory loaded ammunition? I know they all list the weights and velocities, but how about the powder they use and how many gr they load in each case?

I haven't seen it anywhere and I was just curious.

Thanks.

IF they do Ive never seen it. What I normally do is chronograph the factory stuff, then build a reload to the same OAL and MV. Wont be exact due to the powder charge/primer difference, but its close enough. Just keep in mind that temperature creates quite a bit of difference in MV, especially with the HV rifle stuff.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

No because they use powders blended to their specs. by closed bomb and pressure tests to max the cartridge and still stay within SAAMI limits. As handloaders we have to use the canister grades that they (ammo manufactures) combine for these blends. As Chuck R. has stated you can often find a canister grade that matches or is very close.

As far as I know H.P. White labs will perform this service for individuals but I can't imagine the cost. One of these days I will find out as I have always wanted to know the CUP of some of my "pet" loads.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

The ammunition manufacturers use non-canister grade powders. That is, propellents that don't have the precise burning characteristics to be packaged as a recognized powder that reloaders purchase. For instance, they may purchase tons of a manufacturer's certain lot of powder that may be "Bulls-Eye-ish" or "Titegroup-ish" in nature and burning characteristics but won't substitute by charge weight for Bulls-Eye or Titegroup as sold in containers through the retail trade.

They also may blend powders to achieve a target burning rate or maintain a certain velocity/pressure level. They have labs on premises to assist them in correcting charge weights to accomplish production needs including one not inconsiderable need, economy. Different production runs of ammunition may have different powders, or different combinations of powders, and loaded to different charge weights, but possessing velocity and pressure characteristics that are uniform and within their product standards.

Manufacturers would not be well served to release proprietary information about their products for the benefit of all and sundry. Trade secrets and all that, you know.
    Archie likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My firearms instructor used the 80% figure and said even if the bad guy manages to hit you, the odds are still in your favor, so DON'T STOP until the threat is stopped.
    A load the fires the same weight bullet at about the same velocity as the factory load what would be the difference ? Maybe a chronograph, a load manual and some time working up loads is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Hook686; March 9th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Archie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook686 View Post
    A load the fires the same weight bullet at about the same velocity as the factory load what would be the difference ? Maybe a chronograph, a load manual and some time working up loads is what you are looking for.
    This is actually what i am planningon doing. I was just curious.

You can just about duplicate any load you want. A lot of them are nothing special. The blends they use aren't to be secretive, it's for consistency. Just like when AB brews their beer and blends different individual brews to ensure the beer product is consistent bottle to bottle.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The Lyman load manual shows 'factory duplication loads'. Those loads are close to the advertised velocities of specific factory loads.

As Hook 686 said, chronograph the load you like and load to that level, starting from the bottom loads and working up.

To sort of paraphrase what BMcGilvray said: Factories do not release their load data and it would be of no value; the powder they use is not available to us reloaders anyway.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

The reason I handload is to not duplicate alot of the junk coming out of the factory these days. I have been known to teeter on the edge of nuclear fussion with some of my handloads, which I dont recommend anyone doing. But even the load data today is not up to par with your grandpappys load data. Even the burning rate of Unique is different.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links