New to Reloading.

This is a discussion on New to Reloading. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Everytime I check the local stores I finding it very difficult to buy the ammo I am looking for ,even in wolf. How much is ...

Thread: New to Reloading.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

New to Reloading.

Everytime I check the local stores I finding it very difficult to buy the ammo I am looking for ,even in wolf.
    How much is it going to cost me to set up a conservative reloading operation. Iam looking to reload 223/556,
    739/39,9mm,45acp,30-06,270. I want a Dillion set up as all trapshooters use Dillion.I may do shotgun shells
    down the road.Any other options will be considered. Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

Absolute basic, entry-level setup for one caliber, probably $300-$400. That's a single-stage press, one set of dies, a powder measure, a scale, and a few odds and ends.
    Be aware that if you buy reloading equipment next week, you probably won't find the primers, powder or bullets you need for a few months.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Visit: Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

In order to go with Dillon for the items you have listed, you are looking at well over $1,000 to get started. The problem you will run into, is that there is now a shortage of bullets, primer and powder, so even if you decided to spend the investment, you would not be able to get enough components to get started.

I know the cost sounds high, but Dillon makes mostly progressive presses. They do make the model 550 press which is a turret press with manual advancing but that press runs $440 for only one caliber and you can add approx $60 - $80 for each additional caliber. Then you mentioned reloading shotgun, and that takes a separate press. I just looked at Dillon's site and they have a great shotgun loading machine for $900.

I suggest you do a little more investigating before you jump into it.

I've been reloading for many years, so my costs are all amortized, but I am still having trouble getting bullets, primers and powder right now. Fortunately I still have enough stuff to load several thousand rounds.

When you talk about going with Dillon, you are really talking about buying at the top of the line. (yeah, I know, it's a personal opinion, but I've been using my Dillon press for about 20 years.)
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

ive been wanting to start reloading...and ive realized that im going to have to wait a couple months before everything is readily available...that gives me time to research, calculate, and do some more research lol i might slowly start getting stuff here and there, like a press, then a powder measure. but primers, powder, and bullets like mentioned above are very hard to come by. good luck tho! i have better luck finding ammo in the stores at this point.

what it will cost you right now is about 2-6 months in time.
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Sponsor
    Well, here's one trap shooter that uses MEC for shottie and all the trap shooters that I know either use MEC or Hornady presses.

My MEC Super 600 Progressive press is well over 30 years old and still going strong.

And I'm a LEE fanboy for metallic reloading. all three of my LEE presses and a half dozen sets of dies/turrets/tool heads combined cost less than a Dillon and don't show any signs of failing. Though I might consider the Hornady LNL AP if I ever decide to upgrade. (Yes I do realize that Dillon or Hornady would be an upgrade from LEE, I just don't see a need to spend the extra $ if LEE continues to meet my needs)
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

reloading is fun and will save you some money. not as much as it use to, back in the day, but will save some money. you can get a used setup cheap. but,,,but te problems is getting powder, primers, bullets, and brass. everybody is out or on back order. also the prices have gone up, way up. so if you don't have it now it is hard to get it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links