Where to get .22TCM brass and dies?

This is a discussion on Where to get .22TCM brass and dies? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My father is planning on picking up a 1911 gun that uses .22TCM. We have no idea if dies are available or the brass. Anybody ...

Thread: Where to get .22TCM brass and dies?

Where to get .22TCM brass and dies?

My father is planning on picking up a 1911 gun that uses .22TCM.

We have no idea if dies are available or the brass.

Anybody have any ideas where we can look?

.22TCM uses a bottlenecked case, so cutting down brass to size is out. Configuring dies is possible, but would prefer commercial.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The .22TCM sounds like a wildcat round meaning there is no factory ammo made for it. In that case your best bet is to contact RCBS distributors of reloading dies, reloader equipment bullets cases and supplies for handloading - since 1947 | Huntington Die Specialties to get case forming dies and reloading dies. From what I read in a quick search the .22TCM is made from .223 brass. I remember when the AutoMag first came out there was no ammo available and cases had to be made from 30/06 or .308 brass. The first step was to place the parent brass into a specially hardened die and using a hacksaw cut off the excess brass; this will be needed to make .22TCM cases also. Once all the cases were cut to length and depending on the final size two or three dies are used to form the neck.

As an example I have a set of form dies to make .256 Win Mag from .357 brass. The first die sets the case length by filing of any excess brass, the second die necks it down by about .030 inches, the third die takes it down just a bit more. Before final shaping in the fourth die the cases must be annealed, this is done by placing the brass upright in a tray of water about half way up the brass. The cases are then heated just until they show color around the shoulder and neck you then tip them over into the water, this will leave the different colored shoulder you see on military brass. After annealing you run them through the final die and then just follow normal reloading procedures.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links