Primers and powders

This is a discussion on Primers and powders within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am still new to reloading and wanna stay with what my loading books tell me but was wondering how important it is when you ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Archie

Thread: Primers and powders

Primers and powders

I am still new to reloading and wanna stay with what my loading books tell me but was wondering how important it is when you find data and it says this primer with this powder can that be substituted in anyway or is there some data out there that will say what primers work good with certain powders?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Once you've been doing it a while you may find you like a certain primer, or maybe even a certain primer/powder combination for a specific purpose. Generally, however, as long as you are using a small pistol primer where it calls for a small pistol primer, brand name is irrelevant. Powders, obviously, cannot be interchanged the same way, as they are the reactive substance that is the greater variable.

The bottom line with primers is some are 'softer' than others. You may want them soft, or you may not. It all boils down to your specific application.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I have mine down to 2 powders, Unique and AA-2, and two brands of Primers, Winchester and Federal. For my G-21 it likes Federal Large Pistol. My Springfield 1911 likes either. All my guns that shoot ammo with SPP work with either. This is all I stock except for one canister of 2400 which I use in my 357Magnum loads. The Federals are Softer than the Winchester which are harder. Read that as Harder to ignite 45ACP in my G-21. That is the only Primer Specific gun I have. Good luck with your selection and keep notes of what works for which load. A chronograph would be a nice addition to your reloading tools.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

In this day and time the primers you find are the ones you use (kinda like the tune love the one you're with)! Beyond that, see TX expat's comments. I like to suggest that those new to reloading work up loads from the lower half of the load range when you change a primer brands (and certainly when you change bullets), just to be on the safe side.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Powders, stick with the manual.
    Primer brand names, not so much. Most reloading manuals are tied to a certian manufacture. Speer = CCI, ect.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

As long as one uses a beginning load to start and works up from there, manufacture of primer will likely make no serious difference.

What one does not want to do is to work up to a heavy load and then change primers (or anything) without backing off to the beginning. That includes a new lot of primers or gunpowder.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Links