good old reloading

This is a discussion on good old reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; this is just going to be a friendly rant... i feel like, correction i know, i got interested in reloading ammo a little to late. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: good old reloading

good old reloading

this is just going to be a friendly rant...

i feel like, correction i know, i got interested in reloading ammo a little to late. i started researching it in january with my mom who wants to go in halfsies with me on it. well come to find out after i research all that i would need and make a list to order everything. the only things i can find are the press and thats about it. everything else you will be overpaying on and when it comes down to it your better off just buying ammo from the store.

i could probably find the ingredients and parts that i need but i do not feel like overpaying for them right at this moment.

but for now i am patiently waiting until this craze has passed and once it has i will get back into the ordering/starting of my reloading adventures. hopefully its soon :) and from what i have heard patience is a virtue but i think its also torture!

any thoughts, questions, or concerns?
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Patience lad, patience.

Get your press, and scale and assorted tools. Dies and some shell plates are a bit scarce right now, but not as scarce as loaded ammo. Brass and bullets are generally back-orderable. While you wait for primers and powder to become available, make sure you get at least two reloading manuals (I recommend the Hornady, Lee and Lyman books, in no specific order) and read the "how to" text up front.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

When ever you shoot, pick up your brass. IMO if you have to buy brass your savings go out the door. If you shoot at a range, always come home with more brass than you took.
    NONAME762 likes this.

yes the dies are one of the hardest things to find right now! and if u find them they are going for alot more than what they are normally. i should do some back ordering...if i did that back then i would probably have some supplies! doh. i should have enough brass between my mom and i that are still loaded. i have the Lee Reloading manual but i will look into getting another one. thanks for that!
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    When ever you shoot, pick up your brass. IMO if you have to buy brass your savings go out the door. If you shoot at a range, always come home with more brass than you took.
    i agree! wasting money on brass will bring down the savings. im lucky to when i go to the police shoots i pick up extra brass :)
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Reloading is like anything else for me, not really done for cost as much as personal satisfaction. Nothing like the sound of something you made going off and seeing it work. I don't always reload what I shoot but when I do reload :there is a lot bigger fun and satisfaction factor. There are availability and accuracy factors that some reloaders consider important over cost. Buy what you need and just be sparring with the inventory, you should not put off something that you will really enjoy because of high prices, just buy the press and other materials for something you really enjoy shooting and have fun. Thats money well spent if it gives you pleasure. You might be surprised how much fun you can have for instance scrounging around for the lead to cast your own bullets or just the pleasure of letting some other person tell you about a pet load that they are really proud of ...you might even be the one doing the talking. Sometimes we forget that we work for something more than just survival.
    If I was just looking at the cost factor: my time is worth more than I would save.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    If I was just looking at the cost factor: my time is worth more than I would save.
    That's why I've held off from investing in reloading thus far. The only benefit to me would be if the components were not scarce when ammo is. However, since component availability tracks right along with manufactured ammo availability, I figure that I may as well continue to bulk-buy manufactured ammo when it's cheap, knowing that there's always going to be another panic-buy around the corner, and saving my spare time for things that I really like to do.

I buy components in quantity and as cheap as I can get them I also cast my own bullets,a 100 round bulf pack of 45acp is around $40-$45 I reload 100 rounds for about $6 so thats a savinggs of around $34 100 x 400 rounds an hour is $128 you must have one great paying job.
    Your running into the same problem as 4 years ago,ammo started drying up so everybody decided it was a good time to reload and started a run on powder primers and bullets,About 10 years ago I had an epiphany and somehow saw this coming so I started investing in equipment that has paid for itself many times over and I never run out of ammo,any ammo I need I just reload including 223 which is almost impossible to find unless you wanta pay out the nose, I make my own bullets out of spent 22 brass and reload 223 for about .10 cents a round
    NONAME762 and darkstar11 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    One of the reasons why I got into revolvers. No chasing brass
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I buy components in quantity and as cheap as I can get them I also cast my own bullets,a 100 round bulf pack of 45acp is around $40-$45 I reload 100 rounds for about $6 so thats a savinggs of around $34 100 x 400 rounds an hour is $128 you must have one great paying job.
    Your running into the same problem as 4 years ago,ammo started drying up so everybody decided it was a good time to reload and started a run on powder primers and bullets,About 10 years ago I had an epiphany and somehow saw this coming so I started investing in equipment that has paid for itself many times over and I never run out of ammo,any ammo I need I just reload including 223 which is almost impossible to find unless you wanta pay out the nose, I make my own bullets out of spent 22 brass and reload 223 for about .10 cents a round
    You have a great deal more money invested in your equipment than the average person trying to decide if reloading 200 rounds a month is cost effective. Of course you can bring this down to numbers and make it sound unbelievably cheap to reload your own ammo but you are not comparing apples to apples here.
    And I do have a very well paying job to the point that saving $128 for the "off time" time invested in casting 400 bullets, cleaning brass, and reloading 400 rounds is not IMO time well spent in regards to the money saved. I expect the above reference would include much more time than the one hour you are referencing.
    You are the one to decide if your pleasure derived from spending that time is worth it to you as I am in regards to my time. I was simply offering reasons other than "saving money" that might make reloading worthwhile to the average hobbiest.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Things are scarce, but as to equipment, if you are getting shaken down locally, do some on-line shopping. The most reputable suppliers do not appear to be trying to take advantage of the situation by jacking up prices. As already noted, your first step needs to be acquiring one or two quality reloading manuals. Get educated before you buy.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I am reloading with components (other than powder) that I bought during the Clinton Scare in the 1990's. I also collected brass every evening at the Gun Range I worked at part time. In 2002 I bought almost 500 lbs of 9MM, 40, and 45 Bullets from Zero in upper Alabama. This and other purchases in the last 8 years have me and my brother flush in components to reload with. Yes, we come home with more brass than we shoot. This is a good time to get started in the reloading business as used components are on the ground. Get as many as you can. When the time is right other things will become available. It is a small steps before big steps program. My two presses were bought in the early 1990's and still run 100% with no issues. I can still get free parts for any thing that breaks on them. Reloading has more than paid for itself for me. It will take some time for the newcomers to realize this, but it will so keep the faith and keep a sharp eye out to get things when they present themselves.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I just shot 100rds of my .40 reloads this afternoon. I couldn't shoot near as many rounds if I didn't make my own. I also enjoy the process.

Ya its a bear to find stuff right now. I think itll settle down soon but prices will probably be up a bit.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Things will settle down, I got for my son a Lee Kit. with the dies it was still under $200 to get him loading. With my own lead bullets I can load 45ACP for $12 per 50 and $9 per 50 of 9mm. so a considerable savings on the 45 but not so much on the 9mm. But I can still shoot my 9mm where friends are looking for ammo. I shoot a lot of 45 colt. The savings on a box of them is about 2/3. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links